Monday, September 2, 2024

Fantasy Saturday

I got my first full night of sleep but there was a steep price to pay that allowed that to happen. I couldn’t believe it when I woke up this morning to a clock proclaiming it was after 8am. That’s much later then I usually sleep and decidedly later than past two weeks where I could count on a granddaughter wakeup, usually consisting of a full dive onto my sleeping form at the end of a room long dash. Strange how much I miss it. This last week, with only the FBR in residence, was a little more sedate although I did a fair amount of running around with her, she is a rising taskmaster (it’s the genes inherited from her abuela). She was also a bit more emotional this year about missing her parents. As soon as they pulled into the driveway she rushed out and bestowed a really long hug on her mom and dad.

FBR Hugging her Mom Upon Arrival

Pre-Draft Conference
All three granddaughters were available Sunday morning as my son’s family rejoined us along with my daughter and Wingman who journeyed north to retrieve the FBR from our grasp. As with last year, we used this august assembly to execute the Family Fantasy Football League draft on Deckzilla. As you can probably guess, whenever this group is assembled and then you add Great Aunt, Keene Friend, and Cantankerous Friend to the mix, there is going to be some serious laughter heading downrange. A difference this year was the inability of my Favorite Panamanian, despite guarded attempts, to assist in the preparation as she is still on crutches. She fumed a little bit at my cleaning standards as opposed to hers, but let’s be honest, no one can meet those lofty ideals.

Out Onto Deckzilla

The Draft Starts
The draft was a lot of fun with my son as commissioner. The PCR joined the league this year which immediately led to Cantankerous Friend launching aspersions about collusion between the PCR and Keene Friend. It was a very fun afternoon on Deckzilla as the picks rolled in and the three granddaughters and grandpuppy swept through whenever they felt the need for popsicles (okay, that was mostly the granddaughters). We drew the draft order from the hat and for the second year in a row I emerged with the last pick. Soxfather’s sister had been making big noise all year about how she was going to personally attend the draft to supervise us but I guess that hour long trek from the depths of Rhode Island was just too much for her to chance. We, somehow, survived without her supervision. Go figure.

ABFA and My Daughter Getting Draft Advice From their Daughters

Great Aunt, Keene Friend and Cantankerous Very Focused
As soon as the last pick was made, my son was assigned to the grill and the various dishes everybody brought were assembled for an extensive post-draft meal. There was way too much food. The FBR had assisted me with pre-draft grocery shopping and I made the mistake of passing through the dessert section which resulted in two large containers of cupcakes and sugar cookies (it’s how we roll). Saturday was one of those afternoons that, even while participating in it, you’re hoping will last longer. Unfortunately, the cosmos, being what it is, held short shrift with my prayers and time, as it usually does in these situations, seemed to speed up. Great Aunt and the guys from Keene left just as the sun was setting.

Son and I as he Mans the Grill

Then, Bravely, Supervises the Granddaughter Table
It's testament for how tired the granddaughters were that they didn’t put up too much of a battle at bed time. Although I’m hesitant to make that claim to my son who drew bedtime reading duty. We gathered around the kitchen table to play yet another game of Uno Flip, which is fast becoming the family staple. Wingman, gamemaster for the family, introduced us to this in Panama and we can’t get enough of it. There is so much laughter involved as the game see-saws between contestants. The game also brings out the competitor in each player, some times in hilarious fashion, such as with the ABFA’s mom during our trip to the beach house this year. Saturday’s game was no different. I’ve ordered a set of the cards for the game so we’ll be able to play whenever we get the urge (and have the right mix of people).

Son, Returning to the Uno Flip Table, Noticing Something is Amiss

Daughter Sunday Morning at the Hojaldra Cauldron

Under the Watchful Eye of the Hojaldra Queen
Sunday morning was interesting at breakfast time. My Favorite Panamanian was still not up to manning the stove but the family hojaldra queen (the BRS) was still demanding her tribute. We devised a system where my wife created the hojaldra while sitting down and my daughter assumed the mantle of hojaldra cooking. This follows the failed experiment of either my son or I trying to. By noon all had to depart and the house descended into an eerie quiet that hadn’t been seen in, well, two weeks. Having the granddaughters stay with us is a time I cherish each year and I’m hoping we’re creating good memories for them. I’m ready for a little rest though as, inexplicably, it seems to be more physically challenging each year. It’s almost as if I’m getting old (perish that thought). More than worth the effort though, especially if the reward is having everybody who was with us on Saturday present. I’m still going to miss the wake ups. My Favorite Panamanian goes under the knife tomorrow for her knee. Please keep her in your prayers. I’ll try and post tomorrow how it went.

Four movies fell in the A-Z watch, all keepers: Liar, Liar, Carrey’s brand of humor hasn’t aged well but still some very funny moments; Life as a House, definitely one of my favorite movies of all time, scenes between Kline and Christensen as well as between Kline and Thomas just crackle, absolutely love this movie, still brings a tear to my eye every time I see it; Life of Brian, the Python boys poking fun at organized religion and politics, way too funny; The Life of Emile Zola, gag gift from Keene Friend but still a classic.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment