Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Relief in Place

She’s home and doing remarkably well. My Favorite Panamanian’s knee surgery took place yesterday and it could not have gone better. She handled the challenge like a real trooper. It was our first experience at the fairly new Surgery Center, just across the lake from Worcester. What a fabulous facility! She requested I stay with her as long as I could. She realizes how much I hate hospitals but this was an easy task. There was no wait when we showed up and five minutes after we walked in the door, she was gowned up in the pre-op area. We had about an hour and a half wait while they did all the pre-op ministrations including a brief with the surgeon where they both initialed the knee that needed the work. I’m guessing that was to prevent the horror stories you hear about concerning surgery on the wrong appendage.

In Recovery Mode
I was eventually sent out of the area when they wheeled her towards the operating room as she was already starting to fade from the anesthesia. I waited in the luxurious front lobby and in less than an hour was informed she was out of surgery. Twenty minutes later I was instructed to pull the car around the side of the building to pick her up. The technology for this type of procedure has obviously improved in the twenty years since the 2d of my two knee scopes. She was a little groggy coming out but actually stood up to get into the car! We stopped by the pharmacy to pick up the drugs she’ll need for recovery, including the powerful “good stuff”. Ten minutes after we left the surgery center, she was comfortably lying down on our living room couch. The Neighborhood Mafioso had asked to be informed when my wife was back at home. Twenty minutes later she walked in with a crab cake lunch (her favorite) for my Favorite Panamanian. My wife admitted to being in a lot of pain but was hesitant to take the “good stuff”, the most powerful pain killer. Both the Mafioso and I encouraged her to take it as it was prescribed exactly for this post-op pain. She’s really sensitive to drugs and was hesitant. She eventually agreed and ten minutes after taking it she was amazed as the pain was gone. Better living through chemistry!!! The side effect was sleepiness which took hold as she tried to keep conversing with the Mafioso.

FBR Back Home
She was zonked out for the rest of the afternoon. My Favorite Son called to check in on his mom along with the BRS and BR3. She semi-emerged from her drug induced stupor to acknowledge them before falling back asleep. She woke up for dinner and while she was eating my daughter and the FBR called. After that call my wife said it was weird that our son hadn’t called. She couldn’t understand why I was laughing until I told her he had. We rectified that with another, more alert conversation with him. I’m convinced the nearly non-stop phone conversations she’s had with family and friends since she’s been home is the very best medicine she could have. Thank you to all who have reached out. She slept very well last night and today she’s actually walking around without crutches without pain for the first time in two weeks. She hasn’t taken another of the “good stuff” and I have to caution her against doing too much. It helps that I have to tackle her back onto the couch to apply the cold pack every hour. So, she’s doing great, better than I expected and without knee pain for the first time in over a year. As stated above, they have made great strides in this procedure in the last twenty years.

BR3, Snake Charmer
Our family knows how much their abuela worships the granddaughters. Therefore, they sent along these pictures of the girls to assist with the healing. The biggest collateral damage of the knee injury was her limited participation in this year’s grandpa and abuela summer camp for the girls. The picture of BR3 sleeping (rare that) has her head on one of the stuffed snakes each granddaughter acquired (thank you Great Aunt) because they knew they could terrorize their snake-loathing abuela with them. Amazon also delivered our very own Uno Flip game today. I’m sure we’ll have one of those games underway the next time we have a quorum.

Two movies fell in the A-Z watch, both keepers: Lifeforce, a bit silly, sci-fi/horror romp, but has a beautiful, mostly naked space vampire, what’s not to like; Life of Pi, stunningly beautiful movie, story ambles along then grabs you by the throat in the last ten minutes, great movie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment