Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Of Birds, Bees, and Iguanas

The beach routine is certainly setting in, re-establishing some of the best parts of the daily schedule we established over the past few years at Las Lajas. Since both my back and my Favorite Panamanian’s cold have seemingly resolved we headed back to David for our customary Tuesday supply run. This is something we did last year because it is also a very good day to hit the local cinema. You know how much my wife likes going to the movies and I tolerate it😊. The daily routines include a meeting with the upstairs neighbors for the sunset ceremony. We missed last night as we were traveling back from David but they obligingly took some photos, including our newest attendee, a small bird that appears at the same time each evening, just as the sun disappears below the horizon. We’ve started referring to it as my wife’s bird since she was the first to notice it.

Wife and I at Gallardo's Yesterday
I also want to introduce you to some of our fellow condo residents. Last year we had two fairly large iguanas living in the drainage pipes in the parking area. They’ve gotten much larger this year and seems to have invited four of their best friends to join them. Since the parking area is usually quiet during the day, when I walk out, I can usually catch three or four of them taking in the sun before they disappear into their pipes. Panamanian iguanas are usually green to blend in with the verdant vegetation but these guys are black. I guess they’re blending in with the dark pipes they inhabit. I’m going to put the granddaughters to naming them when they visit.

Disappearing into his Hole

Resident Dinosaurs
We’ve had only sporadic contact with the stateside family since we arrived since the prime Facetime call times coincide with the sunset ceremony and afternoon boogie board session. Only BR3 seems the least bit interested in talking with us anymore as the two older ones are moving into the “I’m too cool” era. The FBR has spent some of the very cold days in New Jersey making some technicolor soap, a gift from Great Aunt. I cannot wait to get them all down here at the end of February where their too cool for school act should dissolve in the face of the beach and pools, not to mention grandparents waiting on them hand and foot.

FBR's Soap Production


On our trip back to David yesterday my Favorite Panamanian and I stopped by Gallardo’s for lunch. It’s one of our other favorite places to eat and we noticed they sport a children’s’ menu that would be perfect for the granddaughters when they arrive. After we returned last night, I saw the season finale of the latest Fargo season. This has definitely been my favorite season of this fantastic back comedy series. They returned to the “Minnesota nice” scenario of the movie and sported two of the greatest characters I’ve seen on TV lately. Juno Temple plays a seemingly mild Minnesota wife who is hunted by Jon Hamm as a uber-Trump style North Dakota sheriff. Both actors deserve accolades as they play against type and dominate the best parts of their careers (yes, including Don Draper). If you haven’t seen this season, do yourself a favor. I especially love the last scene, laced with so much tension followed by the redemption offered by love. (I may be getting too much sun here)

Fargo Stars

Although it was weird seeing Jason Statham speaking Spanish I really loved The Beekeeper. Statham plays a retired operative who sets out to destroy one of those hacking organizations that prey on the elderly. As he kills his way to the top, he runs up against some serious pollical backing of the bad guys. I was reminded of John Wick as the body count continuously increased but Statham is so adept with action that this was truly his own part. Ayer, the director, who was so good with the tank movie, Fury, shows, once again, he can handle the action with a lots of heart scenario. I can’t wait to see it again, in English.

Last Few Sunsets

Wife's Bird Silhouetted Against Ocean












----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

1 comment: