Saturday, January 20, 2024

Fauna Filled Dining and Carrion Abs

I find myself abandoned again. My Favorite Panamanian is returning to David in able to spend a few days with her mom. Before those of you who don’t know better start feeling sorry for me, let it be known that, in my abandonment, I am ensconced in a veritable tropical beach paradise with the NFL playoffs on tap and a ready supply of Atlas beer. I realize not many people were feeling sorry for me but I am allowed to gloat. Especially since all my friends and family back in the Northeast are suffering under yet another polar vortex. Sorry guys.

Wife and I at Lunch Yesterday
I had a couple interesting meals yesterday. My Favorite Panamanian had a yen for fish so we journeyed down the beach to Pliniyo’s. I like the place because of its nearness as well as the healthy canine population in residence. Beach restaurants in Panama are a lot more laid back than stateside. The sides at Pliniyo’s are open to let the breeze blow through and he has around six or seven dogs. They’re really well behaved and don’t bother diners but have been known to scare the hell out of wandering beach crabs. There are also a half dozen parrots that provide some interesting sound effects.

Pliniyo's

Re-Connecting with Buddy


You're not Finished with the Ears
There were three labs, two chocolate and one black, snoozing nearby as we sat down. The black one was a doppelganger for Buddy the Wonder Pooch which had me a little misty eyed when I first spotted him. I eventually coaxed him over for an ear scratching (his not mine) which he really enjoyed. I thought I was finished but he jumped into my lap to inform me otherwise. It was a very Buddy kind of thing, misty eyes returned. I was able to smuggle some chicken bits under the table despite the Favorite Panamanian’s vigilance.

Dinner Last Night

Our Dining Companion
We continued our First Friday of the Week routine with the Family Facetime call, followed by the daily sunset appreciation ceremony, followed by a trip into the village for pizza. The last two activities included our peerless upstairs neighbors with whom we have become fast friends. We’ve become regulars at Sunset Pizza and took up our usual seats in the back dining area. We were joined in short order by the neighborhood kitten. He’s a character and was soon purring in my lap, wondering when the food would arrive. Even my Favorite Panamanian was charmed enough to share some pepperoni with him. He ended up scrounging bits from all four of us and when another group arrived, he was so full that he settled down into a corner and fell asleep. I couldn’t help but think how much the granddaughters would have enjoyed these pet-filled locales.

My Workout Buddies


My Bike Station
I’m trying really hard not to read anything into the fact that as I look up each morning during my ab workout I see a couple vultures circling above me. I do my workout poolside and shortly after I lie down the buzzards appear. I truly hope they’re not privy to some inside information that I am blissfully unaware of. On the other hand, it’s a good sign that Mother Nature is taking preventive measures, just in case, a cleanup is needed. It probably says something about my workout that buzzards think I’m dead. I try to be a little more active so I’m not mistaken for true carrion. I’ve added the stationary bike to the daily routine. I’ve set it in the master bedroom where I can pop in a movie to watch while I peddle with an unmatched view of the beach as well.

Wingman in Boston


Finally, I ran across these pictures of Wingman from the Boston stop on his current reunion tour. Both my son and the ABFA attended so it was a family affair. Both of those worthies are recovering from colds as we talked last night and neither the BRS, and certainly BR3, had any sympathy for them during the Friday call. Both of the granddaughters were psyched about the prospects of their upcoming visit here. They understand that they, as well as the FBR, are being tasked with naming the condo parking lot iguanas. Of course, I include the last few sunsets for all of you undergoing the strictures of the latest polar vortex.

Beach This Morning












Paraglider Buzzed us Last Evening
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment