Friday, January 5, 2024

Fix it Time

One of the inevitable challenges of leaving the condo unoccupied for eight months in a tropical beach environment (read salt/sand in the air) is the requirement to repair everything that needs it upon re-opening. That’s what we’ve been doing for the past couple days. I, at times, have an elevated opinion of my abilities to play Mr. Fixit. Those are always challenged when we arrive here without my usual compliment of tools. The list, this year, was fairly normal. The living room light, the main tv’s Blu-ray player, the guest room air conditioner, and the front door digital lock. I was able to fix the door lock (including re-programming!) and the Blu-ray player (bad USB cord) but we had to bring in the local pro for the air conditioner.

Sunset Ceremony Time
I had to go pick him up in the village of Las Lajas this morning. As soon as he pulled the cover off the outside component of the air conditioner, a cloud of dust erupted. He was soon knocking off more dirt (they make their nests out of mud) and I finally realized, to my intense discomfort, that he was knocking off hornet nests. Panamanians are a lot more sanguine about interacting with the insect world than I am and I was checking for the nearest exit. Luckily the hornets seemed to have decamped prior to our intrusion. Since the unit had been inactive for the eight months, I guess they felt empowered to take up residence.

Air Conditioner Top with Hornet Nests
Today our designated handy man was scheduled to arrive and undertake installation of the balcony sun blinds we put up each year as well as a number of other tasks. My Favorite Panamanian also felt our closet was too small and asked he convert an area of shelves into a hanging closet for my clothes. This follows a trend from back home. In quick order I had the new closet and was evicted from the part of the closet I had heretofore shared with my wife. Once she noticed there was some space left after I took up residence, she was busily moving some of her clothes there. She then started moving a number of clothes she had hanging, unbeknownst to me, in the guest room closet. I’m simply in awe of her ability to acquire clothes. This follows the trend back home where all four bedroom closets house part of her wardrobe.

TV with Permanent Gray Screen

Master Bedroom Curtains

My New Closet

After my Wife Noticed the Open Space
The handy man installed the indoor blackout curtains in both the master bedroom and living room. We had a minor issue when the fixture used to hang the curtains pulled out of the ceiling. So, he’ll be back next week to repair that and install a new shower door in the guest bathroom (it is a never ending effort). Over the past couple days the TV in the our bedroom also went on the fritz so we’ll have to replace that next week (yes, that is important). While all this was going on today, the upstairs neighbors had a local woodworker in to install their latest furniture. My Favorite Panamanian stormed upstairs and I  met the guy (surprisingly young) who was now contracted to build a new bed for us. So it goes.

My View
While all this might sound kind of busy, there has still been time to accomplish the requisite beach time. We’ve re-established the daily sunset ceremony with our upstairs neighbors. That means you gets some of the sunset pictures that I inflict upon you as often as possible. So, this is really phase 1 of fixit time as the handy man will be back next week and I have a stationary bike and a new TV to install. At least I’ve got this view to hang out with. I hear they’re getting ten inches of snow in Worcester this weekend. Just sayin.

Sunsets from the Last Two Days





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment