Sunday, December 10, 2023

Army/Navy Thunder Run

I continued on my misspent ways during my geographic bachelorhood with a trip, once again, back to my hometown. I was joining the Cantankerous Friend, a Navy Veteran, to watch the annual Army/Navy game. Neither of us are academy grads so the game itself was secondary to getting together to see who would garner bragging rights. It’s kind of weird that we grew up five houses apart and both ended up with almost identical careers in the military, granted mine was with the more distinguished service but his still counted (at least it wasn’t with the zoomies who only qualify as para-military anyways). We both served 27 years and retired as O-6s. There must have been something in the water on Valley Street.

Army Navy Buddies' Last Night at the 'Nuche
My Kindergarten in the Background (for my kids)
We listened to some bad advice from a high school classmate who suggested Bender’s was the place to go to. It’s a new bar in Keene and since I’d never been there (I know, amazing, a bar in Keene I haven’t been in), was intrigued. We arrived just prior to game time to discover the place wasn’t even open until later in the day (on Saturday!!!). Luckily, I had the preeminent local social guru, and pub connoisseur, my Kindergarten Friend, to fall back on, as he had previously suggested Penuche’s Ale house as the place to be. As so it was. We were joined in short order by the aforementioned guru and in a bit of a surprise, the Keene Friend. He told me on my Thursday thunder run that he was not available on Saturday. When the Kindergarten Friend arrived to say he had almost run the Keene Friend over as when was crossing the street I sent him a text to see if he was available and voila, in he walked.

Bad Lighting but Still a Fun Crowd
We were seated at the bar with direct access to the Coors Lite tap, although the barkeep kept a close eye on us. In short order another high school classmate, she of the bad bar advice, arrived with her husband. The bar would no longer contain us so we moved to a long table directly behind us that had some college kids at the other end. As soon as we sat down, they left, probably afraid of losing cool points being at the same table as the senior citizens. We settled in to watch the game and Cantankerous was a little put out when everybody except himself and the bar tender rooted for Army. A final addition to the very fun crowd arrived in the person of the CRC, who had missed the pub crawl due to a Texas sized adventure. The game had turned into yet another class of ’73 mini-reunion, our class just flat rules!!!

Still Bad Light for CRC, Kindergarten Freind and Bad Advice Gril
While Army dominated most of the game, Navy made a spirited comeback and the game was decided with a stalwart Army goal line stand. It was a fun game to watch for all the pageantry and repeated scenes from the Army in the field which tugged at the ole heartstrings but what made it truly special was getting to spend time, once again, with my remarkable friends. I even got the opportunity to torture my son long distance by sending him a picture of the kindergarten (across the street from Penuche’s) that I never fail to point out to him and his sister. His response (sent from a friend’s birthday pub crawl – it’s in the blood) had all of us laughing. There was a lot of that. After Army’s victory, the Cantankerous One and I went out for pizza before the ride back to Worcester. This was the first time in a long time that for a large part of the day, it was just Cantankerous and I. I thoroughly enjoyed it, five houses apart will do that.

Mother's Day Lunch

The Three Sisters
Meanwhile my Favorite Panamanian was thoroughly enjoying her Christmas present as she and her sisters hosted their mom at a Boquete hotel for the weekend. Their brother joined them for a Mother’s Day dinner. My wife excidedly proclaimed she had found a great Italian restaurant for us to sample when we return there. It was obvious the sisters and especially my mother in law were absolutely enjoying their surprise time together. Much closer to the frost line, the FBR was scheduled to attend an indoor water park with her dad yesterday. A lot going on at this time of year. I just have to figure out if I can squeeze in another thunder run back home before my wife’s return. My friends in Keene are probably hoping I can’t as they need a break.

FBR Out and About Yesterday
Four movies fell in my A-Z watch, all keepers: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, love the very British humor and Sam Rockwell dominates; Hitman, better than I remembered, Olyphant a great action star; Hitman Agent 47, reboot was okay, not as compelling as the first; and The Hitman’s Bodyguard, banter between Jackson and Reynolds is awesome and then there’s Salma.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment