Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Weekend Roundup

I was decisively engaged yesterday or, since I’m retired, I guess a better explanation is that after working out in the morning, I was in serious recovery mode in the Man Cave. That is related entirely to my weekend activities of challenging a body more than it should have been but it was so much fun. Whatever, I didn’t get around to writing on Frail Deeds but I need to recap the extremely fun Sunday we achieved. The Worcester couple, close friends of the Neighborhood Mafiosos, and our usual partners in crime Fridays at the Auburn Legion, invited us over for a barbecue at their beautiful Worcester home along with the Mafiosos. Their home is tucked away on one of Worcester’s seven hills and provided a nice secluded patio area to pass away the gorgeous spring afternoon.

Great Way to Spend a Sunday Afternoon
Our host was excelling with one his newest toys, a smoker. He was worried about making sure I would have something to eat (my picky eating habits precede me). The Mafioso’s husband assured him as long as dead animal flesh was involved; we were good to go. Since the music is usually too loud to carry on a coherent conversation at the Legion Hall, it was nice to have the opportunity to talk with these great friends while the excellent meal was devoured. All four of the other people grew up in Worcester and it was fascinating to hear stories of “what it used to be like”. I’ve developed a real affection for this place and history has always been one of my passions. So, a very productive weekend including a Saturday thunder run to Keene and hanging with the best Worcester friends on Sunday. I’ll say it again. I am blessed.

I saw this cartoon online and burst out laughing. All baby boomer mothers received this training and passed it on to their children. They were intensely concerned, not so much that we would have an accident, that was apparently a given, but, that when said fate occurred, we would have dirty underwear on. It now sems like a little bit of fractured priorities. Inventory was taken during the weekly laundry haul and counseling would follow if undergarments were beyond the pale (tough when you play a lot of basketball) and God forbid, there were holes – a truly cardinal maternal sin.

Two movies fell in my A-Z watch, both keepers, as I complete Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie collection (3): Lover Come Back, 60s Madmen decidedly not like the tv show and Send me no Flowers, hyper-hypochondria taken for a ride

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment