Sunday, June 11, 2023

Piney Thunder Run

I am always searching for reasons to return to my home town and my latest back yard project provided the perfect excuse. I’m building another small terrace on the downhill side of the back yard to provide more privacy to the new patio area. I planned on putting two more trees therein to create the screen I want. The only problem was the Worcester Home Depot didn’t have the correct kind of trees to match the five I already had adjacent. My Favorite Panamanian in her myriad shopping excursions mentioned that she had seen them in the Keene Home Depot. Excuse achieved!!

Legal Review Team Yesterday with our Client
After spending the week eradicating clover from the front yard (I am getting old) I decided it was time to start this project I had been talking about since early spring. My Favorite Panamanian mentioned that we weren’t doing anything Saturday and why didn’t we head up to Keene. I think she realized, with the immediacy of my reply, that I had been searching for a reason to do just that. I alerted the Thunder Run contingent but Keene Friend was heading over to Manchester with Keene Friend 2. The Cantankerous Friend, fresh from donating more of his facial skin to the city pavements, was around and available since his bike riding is on hiatus until he can move his right hand again.

Newest Arrivals
After quickly picking up the trees (and yet another perennial that my wife had to have) we arrived at the Cantankerous Friend’s home to find him battered and bruised from his game of chicken with a pickup truck. He had some scabs on the side of his face as well as an eye brow freshly stitched back on and a healthy sized splint in his broken right hand. He showed us his cherished (and very expensive) bike with its shattered rear end where the truck struck him. He was remarkably calm about the entire episode and is only concerned the insurance company might give him a run around on replacing the bike.

Action Shot of FBR in her Classroom 
We adjourned to that renowned center of legal cogitation, the Lab ‘n Lager. We were joined in short order by the Kindergarten Friend and a female high school classmate who is also a bike riding enthusiast. Cantankerous gave us all a run down (poor choice of words that) on his recent accident and we applied our best legal opinions which grew more cogent as the amount of adult beverages were sent down range increased. It was another one of those episodes where sitting around enjoying company of old friends is just about the best medicine for morale ever invented. I also did my part reuniting the female friend with another female classmate she hadn’t talked to in years. We made the obligatory semi-inebriated call to the PCR but he might have blocked my number because the call would not go through. We ended the late afternoon by declaring victory as the Favorite Panamanian texted that she was through her latest pillaging expedition at TJ Maxx and was looking for some dinner.  Cantankerous and I walked over to Margarita’s to re-establish that tradition. The only thing missing was Keene Friend. A great day. I am blessed by the people in my life.

With her Best Bud at a Birthday Bash
Not similarly blessed is out benighted former president. I always thought the classified documents case was no big deal. I spent a lot of time with classified information in my military career and I thought these documents were just some minor reports that had been inadvertently clumped with Trump’s personal papers when they un-assed the White House. I was blown away reading the actual indictment, which I encourage you all to do, it is eye opening. These were not minor documents dealing with routine information. These were highly sensitive. We’re talking special compartmented information that could have a real impact if released to the wrong people/governments. The most damning reading in the indictment tells the very active role Trump personally played in hiding the documents in order to retain them.

This adds real consternation as to why he wanted them. I’ve always doubted the accusations that Trump worked against the interests of our country but this is clear evidence of just that. This wasn’t a witch hunt. He will bellow from the pulpit that he is being persecuted but if this was anybody else, we would already be looking out our cell window in Lewisburg. I’m also sure this won’t hurt him politically as his supporters believe everything he says despite direct evidence of the tangential relationship he has with the truth. It’s one of the biggest mysteries in my life. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why good people still believe in this clown. I’m a life long conservative who usually votes Republican but I’m lost to a party that still carries this traitor’s banner, because, make no mistake, that is exactly what he is, a clear and present danger to our way of life.

One movie fell in my A-Z watch, a keeper, as I move into a Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie collection (3): Pillow Talk – the joys of having a party line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment