Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Tio Departure

The very tough series of familial exits over the past year continued late Sunday night with the passing away of my Favorite Panamanian’s beloved uncle. Tio Julio was a real character, my mother in law’s younger brother, who was a family mainstay throughout the time I’ve been associated with this incredible family. He would always show up in the house whenever he heard we were in town with a couple of jokes loaded up to make my wife break down in laughter. No matter where we were living in the world, whenever a birthday rolled around we could count on an early morning phone call from Tio Julio.

TIO Julio Loved Dominoes

With Family at his 80th a Few Years Ago
He came to visit us when we lived in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and was especially touched when we visited a festival that featured bagpipe music., much to wife’s consternation. She’s never understood my affection for the best musical instrument ever invented. A couple years ago when another of his brothers was extremely ill Tio Julio opened his house up and insisted the brother be housed there for the last months of his life. Late last year Tio Julio was struck by a series of strokes that left him completely incapacitated. We visited him a couple times this year although he didn’t recognize us and was completely incapable of communicating.

Tio(l)on the Bus to the Beach

With his Brothers and Sisters
I’ve written many times about the incredible aunts and uncles from my father’s family that I was blessed to grow up with. My Favorite Panamanian was similarly fortunate with her mother’s brother and sisters. She had them for a lot longer than I did mine but over the past year she’s lost three of them. She admitted that Tio Julio’s passing was a blessing as the vibrant jokester he was for his entire life was no longer present in the shell that remained after the strokes. Nothing makes it easy though. My Favorite Panamanian returned to David today to assist her cousins with making arrangements and today we’ll attend the funeral. R.I.P. Tio, I’ll miss your phone calls.

R.I.P. Tio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                      

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment