Friday, October 28, 2022

Tradition Devolution

One of my goals when I started writing Frail Deeds was to pass on what I was like as well as where I came from to (at the time) future grandchildren. At the rate that was happening back in 2011 I figured I would be into serious dotage before any of the next generation appeared, so they would need this guidebook to what their grandfather was like. As usual, my son and daughter overachieved and now I’m fairly confident the FBR, BRS, and BR3 will remember me, a little bit (mostly for being exceedingly silly). Of course, by the time they’re adults I should be in the aforementioned declination phase, if I’m still around at all. So, the premise is still valid. While I was swimming today my mind did its usual wandering (better than focusing on the omnipresent muscle pain) and I thought back to a tradition that I grew up with but also saw depart. The traditional Sunday, formal dinner.

This was a big deal in my early years, as it was for most families in the 1960s (and before I’m guessing). It was an actual event each Sunday where the biggest meal of the week was prepared and served in the dining room. Usually, the only meal we ate in that room, outside of holidays. Extended family members were invited. One of my earliest memories is of my paternal grandparents joining us for Sunday dinner. This was good news because gramma always came with spice cakes which probably explains my current absolute devotion to the similar Panamanian ginger bread. The 60s did a number on this tradition as it slowly became less important. The divorce of my parents killed it for good, at least within our family. The dining room evolved into a tv room over the years. I remember Sunday dinners fondly, despite the formality it sometimes called for, because it brought the family together and even if forced, that’s never a bad thing. Nowadays, the NFL has come to dominate the former time period these dinners took place and I don’t see that changing before the adult conversations I referenced above hopefully take place. Maybe someday it’ll come back. I think it’s a small part of why I love Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners so much.

Twelve Years of Frail Deeds
I realized a couple days ago when I sorted out the written versions of Frail Deeds that I’m printing out for those future adult grandchildren, that I’m now into my twelfth year writing this blog. I never anticipated being at it so long and I apologize for exposing you to my inane prose for so long. I’ve thought about stopping several times but the writing has some sort of mystical encumbrance on my mind. If I miss a couple days, I find myself missing it. I know my Favorite Panamanian wouldn’t mind if I stopped as she says all our friends know exactly what we’ve been up to which minimizes conversation topics. I counter with that she never seems to lack conversational content at any time. As I’ve demonstrated many times in similar marital situations, I’m not a smart man. So, I guess I’ll keep writing here, at least for a while. My sincere apologies.

Two movies fell in my A-Z effort, both keepers, Bullet Train (a recent addition, Pitt so funny seeking therapeutic resolution of multiple assassinations, all at 250 MPH) and Bumblebee (Hailee Steinfeld, has she done anything bad yet?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment