Sunday, October 30, 2022

Focus Shift and Bathroom Handyman

We made an early morning drive into Boston today to start my mom-in-law’s redeployment to Panama after her two month stay with us. It was a lot of fun having her in the house and not only because of the very entertaining 90th birthday party. Logan Airport was its usual confounding self as the traffic patterns changed again. I think there is some Beantown traffic engineer that changes things whenever he gets bored and he’s easily bored. At any rate, she is now half way back to Panama with her other children awaiting to insure she gets home safe. This redeployment comes with costs, though, mainly for me. This means my Favorite Panamanian can now shift her complete focus back onto me. I told you I enjoyed having my mother-in-law in the house, didn’t I? While the scrutiny isn’t unbearable, it isn’t always welcome. I’ve got 40 years of experience to fall back upon but that doesn’t always help.

At the Airport this Morning
We planned on taking my mother-in-law out to eat but she deferred. I’m learning for myself that food intake and the requisite download time period become an important planning factor for traveling when you get older. Since we had a free Saturday, I decided to take on a delayed bathroom project. The toilet in our new master bedroom had been doing one of those annoying leaks into the toilet bowl which caused it to go on and off all night (and day). I took a page out of the kids’ generation’s playbook and checked out the toilet model on line. Lo and behold they had the answer. An Amazon order later, I had the needed flapper liners (who knew that was even a thing). I will admit to a bit of primping for my Favorite Panamanian when it fixed the problem. It was a very basic repair but I felt pretty handy.

Four movies fell in my A-Z effort, three keepers and one, not so much, Burn After Reading (Coen dark comedy celebrating Washington inanity, Clooney and Pitt paying idiots, too funny), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (how do you say iconic? Newman Redford soar in one of the best westerns ever), Cabin Fever (may be the worst movie ever made, how the hell did I ever buy this!), and Cabin in the Woods (supremely funny send up of horror genre, love this movie). As you can see, I’m though the B’s and have knocked out four shelves (25 to go).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment