Each
year, the People’s Republic of Taxxachusetts gifts a tax-free weekend to the
residents. I’ve always been a little upset that it never seems to occur when I
needed to buy something big, where the savings would be appreciable. Well, I’ve
got to be careful about those hidden prayers, uttered in frustration. This
year, while I was lounging on the beach in February, our house sitter reported
that our snow blower had given up the ghost. I resolved to buy one close to the
season when hopefully there would be discounted sales. I did the usual mind
flush and went about my business until wandering about Home Depot earlier this
week (as I am wont to do). I ran across a discounted snow blower and armed with
all the advertising I’ve been bombarded with this week about the upcoming sales
tax holiday, I knew what I was going to do this weekend.
 |
| The Mafia Partying Last Evening |
Since
retirement I’ve avoided hitting the Home Deport on the weekend, allowing all
those still employed their free day there. The weekends are always mobbed with
still working stiffs. Obviously, that wasn’t going to work with the tax free weekend
so I bounced (more accurately eased) out of bed this morning and headed directly
to the Depot. My strategy worked as I was able to park inside of a kilometer
from the front door. My luck held as someone was able to help me immensely and I
was soon in possession of the new machine. I planned on loading it in the back
of the Highlander, but the shipping crate was an inch and a half too tall. They
would have delivered it for $90, wiping out my tax-free savings, or I could
rent one of their vehicles for $20. Problem solved, at least until I pulled into
the driveway and realized I did not have a fork lift to off load it. I was
planning on going with my default approach, brute force and ignorance. That is,
until my Favorite Panamanian, attracted by the backup alarms, arrived to
supervise. I reacted as I usually do, by saying I didn’t need her help or
supervision. That was received as well as you would expect. She actually had a
very good idea (which I was forced to admit to her) to use a ladder to slide the
crate out of the truck. It worked better than I expected and it was safely in
the garage.
 |
| The Crate |
I
was prepared for the tax weekend with a First Friday of the Week Happy Hour barbecue
down the street with the Neighborhood Mafioso. He was remarking about the
stifling heat and humidity when his wife informed him about the barbecue. They
have a great social area behind their house which is a great party spot,
especially when they added a fan. It was a great way to send off the week laughing
with the Panamanian Mafia. The ladies set up shop around the table when the host
suggested we gringos eat our meals in the air conditioned house. That was a
complete success, and we emerged to find the day’s heat dissipating as we set
up for extending the socializing and attendant laughing on the back deck.
Mother Nature sent us a message to wind the party up as we watched a massive electric
storm head our way from the horizon. Great friends, great times.
 |
| The Gringos Last Night |
The Storm Approaches
This
weekend is also more than memorable for another reason(s). It marks the 17th
anniversary of the Best Weekend Ever #1 and the 12th of the Best
Weekend Ever the Sequel. 17 years ago, I had an unexpectedly emotional walk
down the aisle with my daughter as she tied the knot with Wingman. Likewise, my
son experienced similar emotions five years later when, directly in front of
our seats, he spotted the ABFA for the first time in her wedding garb headed
down the aisle to him. There are so many great memories from those weekends
that whenever we all get together, inevitably an anecdote from one of those celebrations
is brought up. Wingman and the ABFA are integral members of the family now and obviously
played important roles in producing the lights of our lives, the FBR, BRS and
BR3. Happy anniversaries, you crazy kids and thanks for the memories those
weekends produced and everything that flowed from them since.
 |
| Best Weekend Ever #1 Kicks Off in Sturbridge |
 |
| Best Weekend #2 in Nashua |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RECURRING CHARACTERS:
ABFA – Amazing Best Family
Athlete – my daughter
in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter
#3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel -
second granddaughter; Cantankerous
Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything,
poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high
school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside
Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in
Brooklyn; Czech Connection – Czech couple who’ve become good friends
along with their daughter (the Czech Shadow); Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions
once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite
Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR
- First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since
high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited
with after many years; Maine and
Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my
wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close
friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals
– female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife
accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high
school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the
Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex
and my wife and I; Soxfather – my
brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca –
wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my
son in law; Upstairs Neighbors – American
couple and great friends who live in condo above us in Panama; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course
No comments:
Post a Comment