We are now fully in the throes of the annual Grandpa and Abuela Summer Camp, as my aching legs will attest. I made the mistake, earlier in the year, while discussing the upcoming camp with the FBR of asking her if she wanted to scale Mount Monadnock again. We have done that a couple times in earlier iterations of the camp, but it blessedly fell off the schedule last year. She enthusiastically affirmed that it would be back on for this year. I compounded my mistake by once again believing the New England weather forecasters, who all said early morning rain would be followed by clear skies near the mountain.
I
put the climb early in the camp before the inevitable physical degradation associated
with trying to keep up with the campers. My Favorite Panamanian classifies this
activity as a purely “Grandpa” level event so it was just the FBR and I headed
out yesterday under drizzling skies. I assured her that by the time we got to
the mountain the skies would be clear and for a while it looked like I was
right as the sun was obviously trying to break through as we drove north. Upon
arriving, we saw that I had been indelibly wrong as the mountain was encased in
clouds. I tried to give her hope, saying we would climb through the clouds and
the top would be clear (again – so wrong).
The Climbers Yesterday

Ready to Set Out
All
this being said (and experienced), we still had a great day as I tried to keep up
with the FBR as she bounced up the mountain. My technique was closer to shuffling.
I made the mistake of not putting the inserts inside my hiking boots, so I was climbing
flat footed. Again, I loved the climb for the time I got to spend with my granddaughter
absent iPad screens and Netflix. Much like her mother, she revels in being out
in nature and hiking. By the time we reached the tree line, we were fully
engulfed in the omnipresent clouds. We never got rained on but everything was coated
by the fine mist we were walking thorough.
At the Base of the Mountain

FBR Standing on a Heart Shaped Rock for her Abuela
I
learned about halfway up that my Favorite Panamanian had given the FBR strict orders
to look out for me. She was constantly checking on me and every time I stumbled
(which happened more than I’m proud of) she rushed to my side to check on me. When
I asked her what was going on, she confessed that my wife had been really
concerned about me attempting the climb and given her orders to take care of me.
I guess I’ve got to act a little more capable around the house. Although the
weather wasn’t what we hoped, it made for a comfortable climb, temperature wise.
At least until we reached the top, the wind was howling and blowing the aforementioned
mist into our face. As I told her parents when we facetimed them from the peak,
the weather was bad but at least there wasn’t a view. 
Into the Clouds

At the Top 
Fellow Hiker Took This of us On top of Mountain
The
FBR took it in stride, we found a cleft in the rocks, out of the wind, to have
lunch, change socks, and laugh at the situation. The FBR took a lot of pride
acting as the trailblazer, spotting the correct symbols to keep us on the right
trail. We chose a different trail for the descent as the White Dot Trail had
been way too much fun going up. The White Cross Trail (or the plus sign trail
as christened by the FBR) wasn’t much better going down. The weather had kept
the crowds down which was nice and the descent went well, except for the whole
sneaker debacle.

Lunch Time
Let
me explain. The FBR was wearing her favorite sneakers, white converse high tops.
I was directed to lead the way down (I think she was afraid I might fall on her).
She prided herself on choosing different paths if she thought she could show me
up. During one of these diversions, she slipped on a rock and plunged both feet
into a dirty pool of water. She immediately broke into tears and explained that
the sneakers would never be white again. I didn’t think it would be the right
time to ask her what she had been thinking to wear white sneakers on a mountain
climb anyways. She only calmed down when I assured her that her abuela was a
recognized expert at returning white clothing and shoes to pristine state after
being soiled. I didn’t share that this was an important trait she picked up due
to her long association with her husband and his tendency to apply the soil. 
The No Longer White Sneakers

FBR on the Descent
We
made it back down in good shape. I was sneakily a little proud of myself for still
making the climb at my advancing age. The bad knee only twinged a couple times near
the top as we went up and nothing on the way down. Both the ascent and descent
were greatly assisted because I had a hiking pole that was a true godsend when
it came to balance. The FBR decided to serenade the mountain as we came down,
claiming it was needed to lift the somber mood of the mountain. While the
mountain might have been somber, I was anything but, getting to spend a whole
day hanging with my eldest granddaughter. The only downside was the constant
foot cramp as I drove home due to the lack of inserts in my shoes (getting old
sucks). 
Happily at the Bottom
Meanwhile, on the Left Coast, BR3 at the Zoo
The
adventure continued today with the FBR getting her pre-school haircut courtesy
of my wife’s designated hair dresser. My Favorite Panamanian and the FBR then
launched on another of their dangerous (to my credit card bill) shopping
forays. I eventually caught up with them at the movie theater for Date Night
movies. The FBR still has the habit of climbing into my lap during the movie
but she’s a lot bigger than she used to be and I had to check to ensure her
long legs weren’t hanging in front of the people in the row in front of us. She
also managed to dump half my popcorn onto the floor with one of her latest
tendencies, grabbing. Another great day.The BRS Beaching it near San Diego
The End of Oak Street was an interesting mix of sci fi and suburban drama. A family’s entire neighborhood is inexplicably transported back to the age of dinosaurs which promptly decide humans make tasty treats. The director was obviously aiming for Spielberg territory, setting this in the 1980s, but didn’t achieve the same level of charm. The family holes up in their house watching the neighbors become menu items. The two kids are called upon the make incredibly stupid decisions which sets up the requisite drama as their parents attempt the rescue. The dinosaurs were very realistic and the two leads, Anne Hathaway and Ewan McGregor, deliver. Their kids, not so much. I really enjoyed how the director brought the story home, making that thirty minute pizza delivery promise important. A great summer, popcorn movie.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RECURRING CHARACTERS:
ABFA – Amazing Best Family
Athlete – my daughter
in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter
#3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel -
second granddaughter; Cantankerous
Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything,
poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high
school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside
Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in
Brooklyn; Czech Connection – Czech couple who’ve become good friends
along with their daughter (the Czech Shadow); Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions
once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite
Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR
- First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since
high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited
with after many years; Maine and
Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my
wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close
friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals
– female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife
accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high
school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the
Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex
and my wife and I; Soxfather – my
brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca –
wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my
son in law; Upstairs Neighbors – American
couple and great friends who live in condo above us in Panama; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:
Post a Comment