The 2026 Grandpa and Abuela Summer Camp kicked off yesterday with the arrival of the FBR for the first week, where she will be solo until the arrival next week of the BRS and BR3. My daughter fought through the usual frustrations of Connecticut traffic to deliver her. Just before they arrived the Neighborhood Mafioso called to remind us the Worcester Italian Festival was also going on, and we had planned to attend with them Saturday night. We thought this would make an excellent kick off event. That turned out to be an accurate assessment.
We
first had a couple hours to rest which were needed for the driver who braved
the benighted Connecticut highway system. The FBR ordered me to the Man Cave (easy
that) where she wanted to watch a movie with me. Her selection was Mean Girls
(see – not so easy). The FBR, in character, thought it would be too mundane to simply
just watch a movie where she could simultaneously mess with her grandpa. Her chosen
method, this time out, was to cover me with every blanket she could find (there
were a lot) and then place a neck pillow as some sort of crown on my head. I asked
why I had to be cocooned in blankets (remember, it’s August) and wear a silly
crown, she blithely responded that I didn’t have a need to know. I don’t know where
she picks these expressions up from.
At the Italian Festival
The
Italian festival was a going full bore when we arrived. We had to park on a
side street a short distance from the location. There was a huge main tent with
what seemed like dozens of food vendors – remember – Italian. The Neighborhood
Mafiosos were already in residence and had secured a rare table in the cavernous
tent. There was loud music playing throughout, including the band we had seen a
couple times with the Mafiosos at attempted dance venues. I say attempted because,
as I wrote about at the time, this band has a legion of devoted fans who refuse
to dance but simply crowd the dance floor, standing, and staring at the band.
When I recognized the band, I asked the Mafioso where their attendant horde of
zombies were. Fifteen minutes later, they were out in full force; full on weird.
Daughter and FBR Setting Out Yesterday

Our Table at the Festival 
Well Attended 
Abuela and her FBR 
Face Painted
Saturday
night, we all watched an episode of the old series House which is one of the FBR’s
latest obsessions together while we fought over the proper distribution of the popcorn
bowl. After FBR’s bedtime, I enjoyed watching a couple things with my daughter
while also catching up on her life, much like I did earlier in the week with my
son. There’s a fundamental joy in these times, all too rare with the arrival of
grandchildren. A serious faux pas had occurred earlier at the Italian Festival
where a very nice lady sitting at an adjacent table gifted the FBR with a
plastic trumpet which possesses its only redeeming value in a very annoying
braying tune. The FBR loved it of course as was soon serenading us at the most inopportune
times (including at 7am this morning at our bedside). I’ve hidden it twice already,
but she keeps finding it. My Favorite Panamanian says she’s going to find the
address of the “nice lady” and send her repeated videos of the result of her kindness
(at full volume).
The Cursed Trumpet
My
daughter headed home this morning, while, after church, the FBR and I hit the grocery
store to lay in needed supplies (like Oreo Cakesters). She and I are climbing
Mount Monadnock in the morning so a lot of the purchases were aimed that way
(my back pack is going to be heavy). As soon as we got home from that adventure,
we hit the road with my Favorite Panamanian for Keene, since the two ladies had
conspired to schedule a tax free shopping trip. I phoned the Keene Friend who
agreed to host and save me from being subjected to the shopping experience. My
wife is in seventh heaven because she finally has someone who shares her
shopping obsession (it must skip a generation). All I know is that they are
very dangerous together. Keene Friend and I watched the Red Sox while their depredations
were ongoing. Once sated (for the day) they returned and we all went downtown for
dinner al fresco at Margarita’s. I was surprised to see how dead central Keene
was on a summer Sunday evening (no college kids yet). It was still good to be
home though (that feeling apparently will never die no matter how long I live
away from there). So, it has begun. Tomorrow I’m scaling Mount Monadnock for
the first time in two years. I hope the new knee braces work out. 
Heading to Church This Morning

Quick Lunch on the Road
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RECURRING CHARACTERS: 
Dinner in Sleepy Keene
ABFA – Amazing Best Family
Athlete – my daughter
in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter
#3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel -
second granddaughter; Cantankerous
Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything,
poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high
school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside
Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in
Brooklyn; Czech Connection – Czech couple who’ve become good friends
along with their daughter (the Czech Shadow); Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions
once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite
Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR
- First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since
high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited
with after many years; Maine and
Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my
wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close
friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals
– female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife
accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high
school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the
Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex
and my wife and I; Soxfather – my
brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca –
wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my
son in law; Upstairs Neighbors – American
couple and great friends who live in condo above us in Panama; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course
No comments:
Post a Comment