I
haven’t posted in a while (you are very welcome). I have been girding the
proverbial loins for the physical challenge of chasing the three granddaughters
around for the upcoming Grandpa and Abuela’s annual summer camp. The rest will
be needed. Yesterday was an important day for a couple reasons. First, it
marked the graduation day from the twice daily application of chemotherapy
cream which has my left shoulder looking like a piece of raw hamburger. I will
take pity and spare you a picture of that devastation. It would have to be some
stalwart cancer to have survived this chemical onslaught (I know the skin in
the area did not). The only person to have a view inflicted upon them of this
was my Favorite Panamanian who seems to take a morbid curiosity as my shoulder dissolved.
I’ll need to get this dried up as granddaughter hugs are looming.
 |
| Last Night at the Ballpark |
The
second, vastly more important, reason that yesterday was so important lay in
our latest trip to see a WooSox game. My son, a free agent this week, drove
down to Worcester after work and joined us. I’ve always enjoyed my trips to
Polar Park (even the frozen one) but last night has to take the cake as the
most enjoyable. My son sat between my wife and I on his first trip ever to see
the WooSox. This meant he and I could talk almost uninterrupted for the entire game
as his mother commandeering my iPhone and spent the entire game surfing the internet.
Except for the times my son and I scared her into thinking a foul ball was
headed her way. That only worked until the sixth inning.
 |
| BRS and BR3 Feeding Birds out West |
 |
| Right From their Hands |
The
fact that the ballpark was also hosting a $2 a Coors Lite beer night also didn’t
damage the process whatsoever. Anybody who has bought a ballpark beverage knows
what an amazing bargain that was. I had a lot of fun showing Polar Park off to
my son and the Sox didn’t disappoint either winning decisively. I had been
talking up the top prospect, Franklin Arias, and he delivered as well,
homering, doubling, and being a real sparkplug. We both agreed we should see
him in Boston next year (if they play baseball at all). While my wife and I
love having the whole family together, I treasure the rare opportunity to hang
out with one of my “kids” solo. Last night was no exception as we covered a lot
of ground catching up on his family news as well as work machinations. As both
our children’s lives complicate as required with the inexorable march of years,
an opportunity like last night was pure gold. We ended the night, after the ball
game, in the Man Cave watching a season finale episode together. The whole
evening was every bit as special as I’m inadequately trying to describe.
 |
| ABFA & the Girls with their Seattle Hosts |
He
had to drive off to work this morning after a huge breakfast lovingly prepared
by his mom. Above I called him a free agent, that condition was rendered when
the ABFA took the BRS and BR3 on a west coast trek. They spent most of this
week near Seattle and yesterday flew down to San Diego before ending their trek
next week in Sacramento. They’re visiting friends and families there. We received
these pictures from the ABFA earlier this week that shows them feeding birds landing
on their hands. On that same nature hike they encountered a large black bear
feeding. BR3 has been to too many zoos because the ABFA had to grab her as she started
to walk over and pet the beast. I can’t figure her out (better minds than I
have tried) as she was terrified of chickens but wants to walk up to a six hundred
pound bear. You have to admire her joie de vivre which I know challenges her parental
units at times. It’s much easier for a grandparent to tolerate since the
parents retain ultimate responsibility and attendant head aches.
 |
| BR3 and BRS |
 |
| Saying Goodbye to Seattle |
While
the first part of last night was incredibly special, the second half, not so
much. After my son went upstairs I continued my usual late night Man Cave
routine. I went upstairs a little after midnight, my usual time. I knew as soon
as my head hit the pillow that I was in trouble. One of the “benefits” of
getting old is the occasional bouts of insomnia. That knowledge itself is
probably part of the problem as, instead of resting with peaceful thoughts
savoring the earlier evening, I immediately began worrying I wouldn’t fall
asleep. That became a self-actualized prophecy and I eventually gave up and returned
to the Man Cave. I found a new episode of Ted Lasso to pass the time along with
the usual late night/early morning junk festering the air waves. I eventually got
to sleep around 3:45am which made for a short sleep since I wanted to get up to
send my son on his way. Totally worth it.

Earlier
this week, on date night, I took one for the team and saw a rom-com with my Favorite
Panamanian. Against all odds, I truly enjoyed One Night Only, which is decidedly
different than my usual fare. The film is set in the near future NYC where
unmarried sex is only allowed one night a year and enforced through the usual
evil corporation and right-wing government. Luckily, they only spend a few
moments launching at those easy targets and most of the film allows the characters
to wallow in the attendant insanity as single New Yorkers seek each other out. The
film was enjoyable because of the two main actors, Monica Barbaro and Callum
Turner. Especially Barbaro who shows some range here as a struggling singer (after
also standing out as one of the top gun pilots) to Turner’s Pizza shop owner.
There are some truly hilarious moments as they struggle towards their usual
rom-com conclusion. A really good movie featuring two very likable stars.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RECURRING CHARACTERS:
ABFA – Amazing Best Family
Athlete – my daughter
in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter
#3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel -
second granddaughter; Cantankerous
Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything,
poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high
school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside
Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in
Brooklyn; Czech Connection – Czech couple who’ve become good friends
along with their daughter (the Czech Shadow); Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions
once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite
Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR
- First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since
high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited
with after many years; Maine and
Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my
wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close
friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals
– female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife
accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high
school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the
Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex
and my wife and I; Soxfather – my
brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca –
wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my
son in law; Upstairs Neighbors – American
couple and great friends who live in condo above us in Panama; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course
No comments:
Post a Comment