Thursday, August 20, 2026

Once More into the Claw

Grandpa and Abuela’s annual summer camp continued apace over the past couple days as well as my recovery from mountain climbing with the FBR. That recovery was challenged yesterday as I spent the entire day following her around Canobie Lake Park on a very hot and humid day. We re-discovered Canobie last year and since the FBR usually gets an extra week with us as opposed to her cousins, she qualified for an extra visit last year. Early on this year she was vocal in laying out her rationale that we should follow the same sequence again. As I am physically incapable of denying any granddaughter requests, off we went.

FBR and I at Canobie
The FBR’s abuela decided her presence wasn’t needed, so I was on my own. The FBR is a great co-pilot constantly changing the radio stations as we traveled until I asked her to let the GPS work occasionally (police speed traps don’t ya know). As soon as we arrived, she made a bee line to her favorite ride, the super-frisbee. I joined her for this initial ride although I noted my senior citizen body was more challenged this year than in the past to handle the gyrations. The FBR was in seventh heaven. We then took on the bear claw which features a vertical climb and then face first drop followed by a series of loops and twists. Again, I noted the difference from prior years as my head bounced a couple times off the head rests. 

FBR in front of the Bear Claw
I was able to talk her out of accompanying her onto the super skateboarding ride, which featured a lot of twisting and turning. We made our way over to the water park side where I fulfilled the promise I made to her last year to join her on the lazy river. That was actually a lot of fun, I did mention how hot and humid it was, didn’t I? The river was packed but I enjoyed riding the current while dodging inner tubes featuring disadvantaged teenagers from Boston (a summer camp group). It looked like they didn’t know how to swim and were a little terrified but I enjoyed seeing how much they also enjoyed the experience.

FB R in Line

FBR Holding onto her Hat

Lunch Time
After drying off, the FBR and I returned to the rides where she was back on the Frisbee and bear claw again, with my enthusiastic support from the sidelines. I was coaxed back for a twisting ride that had my neck sore as hell as well as the “Psychodrome” which more than lived up to its billing. As a lot of the crowd had decamped for the water park, the lines were much shorter in the late afternoon. She was able hit every ride she wanted except the Boston whaler which broke down just as she got into the boat. We returned to the water park so she could navigate the lazy river again. She promised only two trips around were needed. Five trips later I was finally able to get her out of the water.

FBR on the River

We were allegedly headed for the parking lot after this but our route took us by the super Frisbee ride and you can guess what happened. See comment above about denying requests. I told her she could have one more ride. As she was getting off, she noticed there was no line for the next group and went directly there to ride it again. It was worth it to see her laughing and obviously enjoying the day so much. It made the perils of driving home on I-495 tolerable knowing we’d had a good day (her more than I, but that was the plan anyways).

The River
The FBR had apparently made quite an impression on Great Aunt’s grandchildren during a recent visit and vice versa. Today’s plan was a visit to Great Aunt to jump in her pool (the FBR, not me). The FBR was very excited when I told her about this, and her first question was if the grandchildren would be there. Likewise, Great Aunt was bombarded with excited questions all week when the grandchildren heard the FBR was coming back. I’m guessing the FBR is fulfilling the need for younger siblings she never had as an only child. She is so good with these younger kids.

Wife Grabs the Youngest Kid

While the FBR Jumps in the Pool

Entertaining Each Other
As usual Great Aunt was the perfect host. I seriously don’t know how she manages to take care of all three children all week long during the summer. I would not have the energy as the two weeks of Grandpa and Abuela Summer Camp knocks me on my butt. Namesake Nephew’s youngest daughter is especially enamored with the FBR and likewise. The other two grandkids and the FBR convinced Great Aunt to join them in the pool. My Favorite Panamanian was able to engage on one of her favorite pursuits of holding the baby. She soon had her dancing on the table, joined for a bit by the FBR (see video). In the day’s biggest surprise, that youngest granddaughter went willingly into the pool with her grandma. 


FBR Assisting

Good Buddies

Youngest Loving the Pool for First Time


Her Signature Smile when She Knows a Photo is Being Taken
Every other attempt this summer was met with tears and demands to get out of the pool. She spent the entire afternoon in the pool cooing in delight as the FBR and her grandma entertained her. It was a great afternoon for all as Great Aunt also provided my personal kryptonite, a donut cake. My wife claimed she only wanted a small piece but made the mistake of sitting directly in front of the cake. Six or seven small pieces later she acknowledged the mysterious power of this Rhode Island delicacy. It was great day spent with awesome family and offered my tired legs and battered psyche a welcome respite as I gird loins for the rest of the camp.

How we've Been Watching the Sox this Past Week - Love It!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RECURRING CHARACTERS:

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete – my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Czech Connection – Czech couple who’ve become good friends along with their daughter (the Czech Shadow); Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Upstairs Neighbors – American couple and great friends who live in condo above us in Panama; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment