Friday, July 7, 2023

PG Rated Thunder Run and Pool Time

The FBR has bounced back from her chin music incident although she doesn’t appreciate the requirements of the keeping the wound covered. She also doesn’t ascribe to the theory that if it is itching, that’s a sign of healing. I can understand, that never worked when my mother tried it on me. We went to the CVS together yesterday to acquire a new set of band aids, one of the waterproof variety, so she could have a vote in the style of her chin for the next few days. She has outgrown the cartoon variety which was kind of sad. We had to acquire the new bandages because using the normal size ones meant at least four were required, she didn’t like the fashion statement that was making. We need the waterproof ones for her pool date yesterday, more on that later.

At Margarita's With Cantankerous

Earlier in Hennessey's
We first have to discuss a scaled down thunder run back to my home town on Wednesday. We journeyed up on Wednesday afternoon so my Favorite Panamanian and her shopping acolyte could acquire some apparently desperately needed craft supplies. I performed my usual role of driving up to Keene and was summarily dropped off in front of the Lab ‘N Lager so the ladies could pursue their shopping fix. Through intense coordination due to our shared military tradition, the Cantankerous Friend was walking up as we parked. He and I set out for Hennessey’s, the new bar in what was formerly the departed Scores.

Meanwhile in other Parts of NH - BRS and Maniacally Smiling BR3

My Newest FBR Created Jewelry Which I'm Not Allowed to Remove
We stayed there for a couple beers while assessing the location for pub crawl suitability. It was a late afternoon on a weekday just after opening so the assessment is only preliminary at this point. The setup isn’t a lot different than Scores although there were a lot fewer televisions and none of them were on. After making these initial observations we decamped back to the Lab for more familiar surroundings. We vectored in another high school classmate, the CRC, who joined us for an abbreviated time at the Lab, still time exceedingly well spent. At the appointed hour we walked down Main Street to Margarita’s where we agreed to meet the wife and FBR for dinner.

Band Aid Haul

Slowly into the Pool
It was a major surprise that the Favorite Panamanian showed up on time because that constituted the first time that has ever happened in these situations. She admitted the FBR heard us agreeing to meet at five and since the FBR can now tell time, she was right on top of her abuela when the appointed hour rolled around. Unbelievable, I’ve acquired a new weapon in the never ending fight to keep my wife on time and she’s cute as a button to boot. We sat down in the outdoors section for dinner and enjoyed watching Keene walk by. That included yet another high school classmate who recognized first my wife and then the rest of us. She came over and sat with us for a while which was a great way to end the day before heading home in time to make the FBR’s bedtime.

With her New Buddy

And her Abuela
Yesterday’s pool excursion at the home of a member of the Latin Mafia was a highlight for the week until the chin injury. In way of explanation, the FBR loves swimming, I’m not sure where she gets that from, but when she heard we planned a pool day, she was psyched. Then came the chin, with the admonition from the doctor that that swimming was not allowed for a week. In hopes of lifted her crushed spirits I opined that she could still go into the pool but couldn’t immerse the chin. She accepted this compromise in good humor. We had missed this friend’s annual 4th of July bash, a yearly social highlight, because of our own gathering the past Saturday, so this was good makeup.

Chin up in the Deep End

Beautiful Location
The drive to our host’s Leicester home was nostalgic as we used many of the roads I used to use on my daily commute when I lived in Charlton. Hard to believe we left that house eight full years ago. Our hosts had two grandchildren staying with them, including a bubbly five-year-old girl who immediately glommed on to the FBR as her newest best friend. The FBR was magnanimous and shared a couple secret smiles with me at the adoration sent her way by her new fan. The FBR was very fastidious about keeping her chin out of the water and we spent the very hot day hanging n the pool. I hadn’t planned on getting in but the FBR demanded a cannonball and who am I to refuse. Once I got into the pool, I didn’t want to get out. That’s happened before. The hosts prepared a fabulous barbecue lunch before we had to leave to head back home. Yet another great day.

Craft Supplies Employed as Patio Rocks Get Re-Painted
Two movies fell in my A-Z watch, one a keeper and the other not, both with the same name though as I enter the three versions of Dune that I own, Dune (1984) – still love this movie despite the silliness of the Sardakaur warriors and the Baron; and Dune (Sci Fi Channel Version) – into storage as cheesy special effects can’t compete

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment