Sunday, July 9, 2023

Change of Command and Czech In

Our time with the FBR in residence has ended with the official change of command ceremony performed today when my daughter and Wingman showed up to extract their daughter from our clutches. An earlier plan had only Wingman coming and spending the night before driving home on Monday. My daughter, apparently, couldn’t bear another day without the FBR, which I completely, if regretfully understand. Since she has to work in the AM, they grabbed a bite to eat and hit the road back to New Jersey. It was a tough day for a certain couple of grandparents but we kind of realized we’d have to send her back at some point. It didn’t make it any easier.

Assuming Command

Relinquishing
We certainly ended her week with us with a bang with her revenge game at the WooSox on Friday night. These were the tickets Mr. Steinberg, the president of the WooSox arranged for us after learning about the FBR’s unfortunate chin injury earlier in the week. The seats were great and I saw some of the game between my errands to retrieve snack and drinks for the two ladies accompanying me. My Favorite Panamanian again stated she didn’t want any cotton candy and then engaged in a guerrilla war with the FBR sneaking pieces. The game was followed by yet another fireworks display which once again had the granddaughter transfixed. Earlier in the game the FBR would sneak down to watch the game from directly behind the WooSox dugout. She charmed an usher who drafted her to help throw t-shirts to the crowd during the sixth inning. The FBR has that kind of effect on people.

Great Seats

At the Game Friday Night

FBR Enjoying the Game

Wife Sizing up the Target
Yesterday we rectified a grotesque error in our party planning efforts since we returned from Panama. We hadn’t seen her Czech friends since last year and that is way too long. When we were at the pool on Thursday, we learned that the Czech’s mom was in town for a visit. Thursday evening my Favorite Panamanian sent her a text and invited them to dinner on Saturday. Against all odds they were available and we activated the Deckzilla social plan again. The local butcher had a special on bone-in ribeye, need I say more. Although the visitors from the Czech Republic didn’t speak any English, it was still a very fun night as our friends translated and we caught up with each other. Their neighbors (with the pool)/Latino Mafia members also attended. The FBR is a huge fan of the Czech’s daughter (my former shadow who has outgrown that trend). They spent most of the evening terrorizing my Man Cave. The FBR sheepishly admitted they were perusing the movie library and turned evasive when I asked if all the movies went back in the same place. (history repeating itself)

Gathering of Czechs Last Night
There was some strange doings across the road this weekend. Our cross the street neighbors unexpectedly moved out. They’ve only been there a few years, immigrants from Nepal. A U-Haul truck and a bunch of family members showed up early on Saturday and spent the day loading the truck with all their possessions. I thought it might have been just some family members moving out (there’s a bunch) but by the end of the day the house was virtually empty. This morning the rest was loaded and they boarded their fleet of cars and departed. Being snoopy I checked Zillow and the house isn’t up for sale. A mystery to solve.

Two movies fell in my A-Z watch, both keepers, Dune (2021) – far superior, especially watching after other efforts; and Dunkirk – awesome retelling of critical WW2 battle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment