Monday, July 31, 2023

Charlie Guard Reunion

Today was a bona fide treat as I journeyed across the state to link up with an old Army buddy for lunch. Not just any old buddy either. My decision to stay in the Army was based in large part upon the fun I had with my first command. That was a company command in the Old Guard and the guy I met up with today was my hand-picked Executive Officer, whom I would summon to my office by bellowing “XO” at the top of my lungs. He was a special guy then and remains so. He was quite the ladies’ man back in the day and all the married dudes (such as myself) lived vicariously through his romantic adventures, which are the stuff of legend.

With Former XO and his Kid Today
He settled down late in life which is why he was traveling to Massachusetts with his sixteen year old son. They live near Chicago. The son is a fabulous lacrosse player and has been selected for the under-19 USA National Team. They had a practice session in Deerfield which explained his presence in the Commonwealth. I hadn’t seen my old XO in more than ten years so I wasn’t going to miss on this opportunity. It was time so well spent although I’m sure his son had better things to do than listen to two old war horses recount the semi-misspent days of their youth. He and I, as well his fellow lieutenants, totally turned around Charlie Company (nicknamed Charlie Guard) during our tenure there; winning Honor Company for two years in a row. I still keep the company guidon they gifted to me, when I relinquished command, directly in front of me in the Man Cave as I type this.

Father and Son at Practice Facility

At t3eh Diner, Still No Respect from this Guy

The Guidon
We linked up at the practice facility just as the son was finishing his morning practice session. After introductions we set out in search of lunch. My old XO’s logistics abilities seem to have waned a bit because the first two places he selected were both closed. We eventually found a diner in the center of Greenfield where counter space was available. He then pulled the ole, “Whoops, I forgot my wallet” ploy to get out of paying for lunch. Some things never change (the fellow lieutenants mentioned above are nodding as they read this). We had a good laugh about that but I would have paid much more than I did for the opportunity to catch up with my old friend. There’s something redemptive about re-connecting with old buddies after a long hiatus. Such a great time.

Wingman and FBR at Busch

If FBR is at Ballpark, Popcorn and Cotton Candy Will be Acquired

Later at the Concert

FBR Surrounded by the  Linda Lindas

Great Seats for Concert
Apparently, there was a lot more going on with the FBR’s and Wingman’s trip to St Louis. They were there to also see a concert by the Linda Lindas. I have no idea who this L.A. based, rock group is but apparently they’re a big deal. Wingman used his rock and roll contacts to get the FBR a backstage meetup with the group. This is the type of things lifelong memories are made of. Since Wingman (and the FBR) are also baseball fans they also took in a Cardinals’ game at Busch Stadium. As I said, lifelong memories.  

Two movies fell in my A-Z watch, both keepers, Executive Decision, very taut action with Kurt Russell in terrorist infested 747, added benefit – Steven Seagal killed off early on; and Ex Machina – interesting to watch after all AI discussion in news recently

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment