Monday, July 24, 2023

Anticipation

The body is finally starting to put the past week behind us. It seemed to have taken some sort of evil pleasure from demonstrating just how old I’ve gotten that three days of painting walls could produce such deleterious effects. The other option is that I’ve just become a wimp but I dismiss that out of hand, but, maybe not as quickly as I once might have. It finally stopped raining long enough to mow the lawn this past Saturday but I judiciously waited until late in the day so I could do it mostly in the shadows. You see, an old dog can learn new tricks.

We received this photo of the FBR this past weekend as well, which marked the falling out of her last stich from her “chin music” episode at the WooSox game during her recent visit. It looks like the Urgent Care doc did a great job as its healed nicely. They’re applying industrial levels of sunscreen on it for the summer to reduce scarring. The FBR was flippant discussing it. It was nice to see her bounce back from an event that had me almost as close to tears as she was.

Nicely Healed
Now as to that title above, tomorrow we leave for the New Hampshire seacoast to spend a few days with my Favorite Son and his family. They’re renting an upscale beach house for the third year in a row and we get to spend a few days with them and the ABFA’s parents. We missed out on it last year when both my Favorite Panamanian and I came down with Covid, so additional motivation. My Favorite Panamanian has been cooking for two days straight to bring some of their favorite dishes with us. That will include a birthday cake, which looks fabulous, as is typical when she is involved. Why a birthday cake you may ask; well there is the not so small occasion of my son’s birthday on Wednesday which we are going to celebrate with the assembled worthies mentioned above. So, yeah, lots of anticipation. You will also benefit as I will not be posting on Frail Deeds for the time I’m there. The BRS and BR3 would expect no less.

Getting back to the recovery from last week; I’ve done a little bit of online research, for whatever that’s worth. I think my mistake was not listening to my body when it began to tell me I needed to rest. I blame the Army for my attitude towards such warnings. You are expected to ignore fatigue and the myriad of other notices your body tries to send you to accomplish the mission. Always accomplish the mission. I’m not sure where I can change the default button on my body to civilian mode but that has to happen. I just might have to start listening to my Favorite Panamanian when she tells me I need to rest. If getting old didn’t involve enough indignities already! But, as my Cantankerous Friend cogently observed, while getting old does in fact suck, it certainly beats the alternative.

Four movies fell in my A-Z watch, all keepers, Enemy of the State, great action with Hackman and Smith; Entourage the Movie, still love to live vicariously through Vinny and the boys; The Equalizer, Denzel can do anything but who knew he could be so dangerous; and Equalizer 2, every bit as good as the first, tough for a sequel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment