Friday, July 14, 2023

Opportunity Strikes

There I was, minding my own business, thinking about what I could do to liven up an oppressively hot summer week when one of the best agents of such possibilities came up on the radar. Keene Friend called to reveal he was staying with a friend just north of us while his bathroom was being renovated. My Favorite Panamanian’s predictable first reaction to this news was to castigate him roundly for not staying with us. He called to invite us out for dinner so her feigned anger evaporated. He came by last evening and we drove over to a nearby steak house. It seemed like it had been a very long time sic ewer hung out with each other, although it hasn’t been; a good indicator of how much I value his company.

Dinner Last Night
He regaled us with tales from his recent journey to the wilds of western Pennsylvania where he attended the legendary 4th of July Party hosted by that well known Pittsburgh celebrity, the PCR. He related the Pittsburgh sports fans were entirely more pleasant this time out, although he did avoid making any sports comments. It probably helps that the Patriots suck as bad as they do (although they did beat the Steelers this past year). It was a great evening spent with one of my oldest friends catching up on his life and vice versa. Afterwards we hung out in the Man Cave so I could expose him to the glorious carnage that is Sisu. I remember thinking as I watched it the first time that this was a movie he would love. I was right.

Two movies fell in my A-Z watch, both keepers, Edge of Seventeen, Hailee Steinfeld, already a national treasure, her scenes with Harrelson are so funny; and Edge of Tomorrow, Cruise and Blunt with Groundhog Day meets Aliens, great action and plot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment