Monday, July 15, 2024

Stateside Rejuv and Big News

Okay. We both needed some rest after my overzealous recounting of my time in Ireland and Scotland. I know it was a little over the top in terms of quantity but you have to realize just how excited I was about the trip, realizing a lifelong dream. Although my Favorite Panamanian and I did a fairly good job of beating jet lag last week I still felt a little discombobulated (that’s still a a word, isn’t it?). So much so that during one of my middle of night awakenings to address, well, you know, I started panicking because I couldn’t remember what city we were in, how the hotel bathroom was configured, and what time the tour director wanted our suitcases out in the hallway. It took some tactile exploring to fully wake up and realize I was, in fact, home. My family rose to the occasion this weekend to cement a grasp on reality.

Sunday Lunch
We were assisted by the retirement party in Rhode Island for one of our best friends. He and his wife were next door neighbors when we lived in Cranston in the early 90s. She and my wife became best friends and we’ve stayed in touch over the years, even living with them for a short time when I retired from the military. His retirement party was the impetus to lure my son and his family down from New Hampshire for the weekend. We met them at the party location, the palatial home of the retiring friend. The weather was not promising when we arrived as it looked like the Irish rain gods had followed us home. We were sitting in the pool house watching the rain pour down. Someone chased those pesky Irish sprites away though and the rest of the afternoon was glorious.

Rain Coming Down on Party Location

BR3 Arrives!

Linking up with Old Friends and The ABFA!

BRS Down two Teeth Now

Son with New Retiree

ABFA into the Pool 

Son Takes up Lifeguarding

Then Joined by the Rest of Us

Real Swim Bugs Now
It was so settling to see and hug my son, the ABFA, BRS, and BR3. It hadn’t been that long but it seemed like ages that we’d seen them. Time is a weird substance. Our trip seemed to be over in a flash but simultaneously it seemed like we’d been away from home for a very long time. Someone much smarter than I can ever hope to be will have to explain that. The granddaughters immediately dragged the ABFA into the pool for extended time there. The BRS swims like a fish now and BR3 may be braver than she should be with only a styrofoam snake under her arms, but they had a great time. As did we, catching up with friends we hadn’t seen for all too long a time. Lots of time in this paragraph. That said element marched on too quickly before it was time to head back to Worcester. I’ve said it many times on Frail Deeds, but it is an essential truth of life. There is something redeeming spending time around family and old friends. You just can’t beat it.

Son and ABFA

BR3 Always the Comedienne

Retirement Off to a Great Start
Dinner Time

Party Location

BR3 Ready to Descend
Watching the Birds Sunday Morning

Abuela's Shoe Closet was Raided

Deckzilla Morning
The house seemed to wake up with the arrival of the granddaughters. I hadn’t realized how quiet it had been until those two started in. We gave them the presents we’d (my wife) bought them while on our trip. BR3 now seems fascinated with the Loch Ness monster (a good monster we assured her). After they went to bed (kicking and screaming) we got to settle down and talk a bit with my son and the ABFA. My son and I ended up in the Man Cave watching a movie together and that was right up there with granddaughter hugs in terms of grounding me back in the States. The morning started with the obligatory hojaldra breakfast although BR3 now demands corn muffins in addition. We enjoyed a fantastic summer morning out on Deckzilla catching them up with all our adventures. Since we hadn’t fully restocked the kitchen yet, we took them out to lunch. I was totally impressed with the granddaughters who behaved like angels. Apparently some dedicated training has been undertaken to meet that goal. They now have a one visit limit to the rest room instead of the usual 4-5. They had to return home but their mission (at least for us) of welcoming us home was a complete success.

Newest Fiancés
We were just settling down yesterday afternoon when we received the biggest news of the weekend, check that, of the year. Namesake Nephew got engaged!!! He’s been living with his lady love for a while now and popped the question to her while on a getaway weekend up in New Hampshire. Great Aunt said it best,  “Thrilled to share that Namesake Nephew and his gal are engaged! Finally getting the daughter I’ve always wanted. I’ve never seen Namesake Nephew so grounded and happy. Welcome to the family! Arthur is smiling down on us and pleased to see you both on such a loving path!”. We met the newest addition to the family over the holidays last year and had noted the same thing, how happy Namesake Nephew was. So welcome to the family. She’s going to need a blog name. Time to party!!!

Got New Photos from Tour Director
The Entire Tour Group Outside Blair Castle

The Farewell Dinner

Restarted the A-Z watch, four movies fell, all keepers: Kill Bill 1, Uma dominates as Beatrix; Kill Bill 2, a little sillier but still a great ide to grindhouse cinema; Kindergarten Cop, who knew Ahnuld could do comedy, wanted to move to Astoria, Oregon after first seeing this; and King Arthur, much better than critics would have you believe. Side note – I have begun the onerous task of watching the movie Keene Friend gave me as a gag Christmas gift, War & Peace – oh my God, so painful, so Russian, so long. This will take a while.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment