Thursday, July 11, 2024

Ireland and Scotland Dream Realized (Days 7-8)

Day 7 – Scotland the Brave

This was the day I was most excited about for the entire trip. Great Aunt always kidded me about my claims of Scottish heritage, saying it was just so I could play bagpipe music with abandon (I’m doing that now while I’m writing). This was all before DNA testing conclusively proved I (and she, of course) had nearly 30% Scottish ancestry, so the love of bagpipe music was hereditary. While I really enjoyed my time in Ireland, I was more than excited to get to the second half of our tour in Scotland. The original plan was to catch a ferry across the Irish Sea to Glasgow but there was a scheduling crunch that required us to fly on a domestic flight from Belfast to Glasgow. That turned out to be interesting since we would be accompanied on the plane by a bunch of drunk, rowdy soccer fans heading to Glasgow. This was acerbated when our flight was delayed a couple hours which gave the fans more time in the airport bars. We joined our Maine Friends for lunch in the airport which was also interesting in that the meals were delivered by a robot. We placed out order and after a few minutes the little guy rolled up with retrieved our food. No need to tip.

Wife and I in Church of Holy Rude

Food Being Delivered at Belfast Airport


Next to Our Glasgow Hotel
We arrived in our hotel in Glasgow with a couple hours to spare before our next event. My Favorite Panamanian decided to stay in the hotel while I went on one of my walkabouts since we had limited time in Glasgow. Matt, the tour director said there was a statue of Wellington that college students had started putting a traffic cone on years ago and it had become a serious tradition. When they were taking steps to stop this practice the people rose up and demanded it be allowed to remain. I went off in search of this situation and ended up seeing a lot more of Glasgow than I intended. Our hotel was in the center of the city and navigating by map, I walked down Buchanan Street which was a pedestrian plaza with lots of shopping and pubs. My wife made a tactical error by not joining me but our reserve of British pounds was therefore secure and I got to move at my own pace. I made it down to the River Clyde and then turned back to find the statue which was funny along with dozens of others as well as a wedding party taking pictures with men all in kilts. I eventually ran into the Glasgow Cathedral and realized I had a long way to get back to the hotel in time, my damaged foot was also barking at me. I checked the iWatch at the end of the walk and I had put in nearly 5 miles. My excitement about being in Scotland had gotten the better of whatever modicum of common sense I possess.

Buchanan Street Glasgow

River Clyde


Scenes from my Walkabout



Wellington with his Headgear


Glasgow Cathedral
I made it back to the hotel with five whole minutes to spare and jumped on the bus for our trip to Stirling Castle. This turned out to be one of the true highlights of our trip. We pulled up to the castle to be met by Kevin, a piper in full regalia, positioned in the front of the iconic Robert the Bruce statue. We took a few minutes to look around as he pointed out the William Wallace memorial as well as the locations of the battles of Stirling Bridge and Bannockburn. I was already fully steeped in the critical military history surrounding the castle and found myself overcome with emotion to be on the actual ground. This went to a whole ‘nother level when Kevin fired up his bagpipes and said he was going to pipe us to the Church of the Holy Rude, just down the hill. We followed him through the graveyard adjacent to the castle as he played on the pipes. I was in serious excitement mode.

Grounds of Stirling Castle


Meeting Kevin

Wallace Memorial

Stirling Bridge Battle Location

Bannockburn Battle Site

Entry to Stirling Castle
The church played an important part in Scottish history being where Mary Queen of Scots’ son was crowned king. It served as the church for Stirling Castle where Scottish royalty lived. It was founded in the 1100s and is steeped in the history of Scotland. It was fun to imagine all the historical figures that had trod the same ground. My wife liked it because it was a church which she claimed she had not seen enough of on this trip (it’s a catholic thing). Our trip to the church ended when Kevin played Amazing Grace on the pipes in the church nave. He then moved us outside to pipe us to the nearby restaurant where we would have dinner. I’m gong to try to post on Facebook the videos I took of that march as well as the Tam o’Shanter story he later told. This was the kind of experience I had hoped for coming to Scotland. I know it sounds incredibly geeky for someone of my august accumulation of years but I was in childlike wonder and am not afraid to admit it (although my wife thought it was kind of goofy for me).

Kevin and I Outside the Church







Getting Ready to March to Dinner
Dinner was a lot of fun as Kevin was called upon the pipe in the haggis, another Scottish tradition. He talked about haggis and recited a poem by Robert Burnes dedicated to haggis. Haggis, the national dish of Scotland, consists of sheep's heart, liver, and lungs ground up and minced with chopped onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while encased in the animal's stomach. This doesn’t sound like something I would enjoy but I tried it, much to the shock of the lady I’m married to. It was pretty nasty. After dinner Kevin provided a all too short bagpipe concert, playing right next to me. Great Aunt will understand how exciting this was for me. After the concert Kevin returned without his pipes to deliver a telling of the classic Robert Burnes poem, Tam o’Shanter. He delivered this the way it was written, in both English and Scot Gaelic. He was great entertainer and story teller. The poem recounts the story of Tam who leaves his wife at home while he drinks at the local pub only to have a scary encounter with the forces of evil. I don’t know how this happened but Kevin picked out my wife and I to stand in for Tam and his wife, claiming he thought my Favorite Panamanian had been in similar situations with me. It was hilarious and so much fun. As I think about it, this was the best time I had during the entire trip, and it was only my first day in Scotland.

Streets of Stirling

Kevin reciting Tam o'Shanter

Piping in the Haggis

Beer Adventuring Continues

A Bowling Green Outside the Church
Day 8, Lots of Lochs

We left Glasgow early the next morning heading up into the Scottish Highlands. Our first stop was Loch Lomond. I asked Raymond if we’d taken the high road or the low road which he didn’t think was incredibly clever on my part. He dropped us off opposite a castle as I got my first look at the legendary lake. I was immediately taken aback by how large it was. I was expecting romantic small body of water with picturesque scenery. I got the awesome scenery but this thing was huge. We had a beautiful sunny morning as I thought we might have finally escaped the weather curse that had followed us from Ireland.  My Favorite Panamanian opined that it was still too cold, rising to only the mid-sixties. We loaded onto a small boat and took up station on the top deck. The Highlands were rising all around us as we set out.

Frist View of Loch Lomond

Our Ride

Huge Lake

Where we Launched From


Wife and I on the Loch
The skipper was also narrating and he was very funny. I thought we had another in the series of gray-haired speakers we’d already had until the skipper stepped out of the cabin and was revealed to be a fairly young guy. He took us up one side of the Loch pointing out interesting aspects. The funniest is when he challenged everyone to spot the secret cave of Rob Roy. Apparently this was Roy’s hideout when he was wanted by the authorities. Everyone was straining to be the first one to spot it when we came around some screening trees and the large word “cave” was spray painted next to the entrance. Like I said, a funny guy. He was dropping us off further up the lake where our bus would find us. There was a massive ramp like feature that we could see from miles away and the skipper said he would explain when we arrived. It wasn’t any of the creative guesses made by us. It was a 70-year-old power station that took water in from another lake to spin turbines. We rounded a small island just as we were approaching the dock when the skipper pointed out a ruined castle hidden within the island’s trees. It was the former home to the chiefs of the Clan MacFarlane.

Clouds Approaching


Great Day on the Loch



Looking for Rob Roy's Cave

Oh, There it is!



Island with Small MacFarland Castle Ruins
While we were out on the loch, we were being chased by clouds that threatened the beauty of the day. They caught up with us as we boarded the bus and in short order we were getting rained on again. But at least our ride on the boat had been spared. We journeyed further into the Highlands and I was astounded by the natural beauty as well as the emptiness. Raymond expertly avoided disaster on the very narrow roads as we passed mile after mile of spectacular views. I was truly stunned and unprepared for this first view of the Highlands of legend and lore. In all those miles, nearly an hour and a half driving, we saw only a couple houses and thousands of sheep. It was an experience I’ll cherish. We stopped in Fort William for lunch. Since it was named after an English king who beat the Scots, the locals refer to the town as “the garrison”. The rain truly caught up with us at this point as we sprinted through some heavy rain for lunch in the small town. Undaunted by the heavy rain, my Favorite Panamanian forged across the street after lunch to accomplish some overdue souvenir shopping. A brave lass, indeed. After lunch we set out further into the Highlands. We were following the Caledonian Canal which I learned linked the North Sea from Inverness all the way to the Irish sea. The scenery continued to be breathtaking as we passed loch after loch the canal connects. We wer
e stopped for about ten minutes when a bridge had to lift to allow a huge yacht to pass along the canal. I thought for a moment that Taylor Swift had caught up with us and was prepared to ruin the natural beauty with her army of pink clad swifties.

Scenes from our Drive into the Highlands






























Fort William

Our next destination was Loch Ness. We pulled into Fort Augustus at the southern end of this long deep loch. The rain stopped for the time we were there. I left my Favorite Panamanian in town shipping while I ventured on a trail to see the lake. I don’t know what I expected but it looked like any of the many lochs we’d passed that day with hardly a single sea monster in view. I returned to the town to “assist” the spouse in shopping which means acting as her pack mule, highly recommend it though. The town alongside a series of canal locks was picturesque and fully involved in trying to make the most of the Loch Ness monster through merchandizing. I really enjoyed the small conversations I had with the local Scots who were uniformly polite and a bit bemused by the flood of Americans that had descended upon them. The rain returned just as we loaded the bus and set out for our hotel. Along the way we stopped at the impressive Commando Memorial, dedicated to the elite British soldiers from World War 2. The location was chosen because it is on the route from Spean Bridge railway station to nearby Achnacarry Castle. Arriving prospective Commandos would get off the train in Spean Bridge after a long journey via rail and then had to speed-march the seven miles to the training center with weapon and rucksack weighing a total of 36 pounds. Anyone not completing it within 60 minutes was immediately sent back. The statue has three commandos looking towards Ben Nevis and their training area. Seeing the rough terrain involved in the march I was totally impressed.

More Highlands as we Leave Fort William


Did Taylor Catch up to Us?


Loch Ness



Fort Augustus and Caledonian Canal



Looking Towards Loch Ness

Commando Memorial
We continued north into the Highlands towards our hotel for the night. Our hotel was in the Cairngorms National Park which also hosts Balmoral Castle where the current royals hang out occasionally. This was my favorite hotel for the entire trip even though it was the most basic. The Laggan Hotel is a small two-story place that blends in perfectly with the surrounding highlands. It had just a great vibe. Because the area was so bereft of civilization the tour planned a group dinner in the hotel which was fantastic. We had the entire hotel to ourselves for our stay. It was a very homey place with great views across the valley. I downed some more haggis and once again shocked the wife by eating an entire helping. They had fried the haggis after baking and this made a huge difference. After the meal we ended up in the hotel lounge watching some more Euro football matches with Raymond and some of our fellow travelers. A great evening and once again, my favorite hotel of our entire trip. Because it is so remote all the hotel workers live in an adjacent building. This included a Spanish gal whom my Favorite Panamanian was delighted to speak Spanish with for a long time. A great, if rainy day!

Wife in our Laggan Hotel Room 

Great Views

More Haggis!

After Dinner

Hotel Grounds

Laggan Hotel


Thanks for hanging with me for this way too long recitation. I hope you can understand how much this trip meant to me. It really was the realization of a lifelong dream; it was where I was going to honeymoon if I had married my first fiancé. Taking so long to get there was probably my penance for that situation. At any rate, only two more days to go, in my next post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment