Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Mafia Unleashed

I feel a little guilty towards the residents of the Southeastern New Hampshire today. An entire posse of the Panamanian Mafia descended on the seacoast area today to shop. Led by those shopping savants, my Favorite Panamanian and the Neighborhood Mafioso. My wife has always cast yearning looks at downtown Exeter whenever we drive through when visiting my Favorite Son. Due to her usual companion, yours truly, on these drives, shopping is not on the menu. She recruited the Mafioso as well as several other members of the Panamanian Mafia and off they went this morning. I’m watching the evening news and there are no alerts about out-of-control Latinas in the area so we could be safe. Seriously, I hope they’re having fun; I know a lot of laughing in going on. I count it as a win because, well, I’m not there.

It’s been an interesting week as we continue to catch up on all the requirements put on back burners during our tropical sojourn. We paid a visit to AAA about a potential overseas trip about which I am very excited. More to follow on this when I’m released from a spousal gag order (I may be shading that here). I also got the Highlander in for a factory recall and as usual the dealership told me I needed their help with other issues, new brakes and tires. They offered to make it all happen for a couple thousand dollars. I’m keyed to their technique now and declined the work and took the car up the street for the brakes, since that was the car my Favorite Panamanian is driving today. The brakes needed replacing and I got it down there for $300 less than the dealership quote. I’ll get the tires tomorrow. I’m amazed the dealerships aren’t more competitive. I didn’t have to pay for the recall but saw the charges. It only involved installing a couple screws and brackets, 5 minutes work, and the invoice was $126 for labor. They must have been long screws. I was bemoaning the reduced chances to read since our return but yesterday I got more than I bargained for as I drained my kindle waiting in two car repair waiting rooms. Why is that so tiring?

While my Favorite Panamanian is out scavenging tax free shopping, I snuck out the theater to see If. The previews for this fooled me. I thought it would be a straight comedy fantasy with Ryan Reynolds’ quick wit. Nope. It’s a straight family movie aimed unerringly at the heart. Reynolds plays a mentor to imaginary friends who’ve been forgotten by their kids. There is an Oscar worthy cast of voice actors which made it fun trying to guess which prominent actor was voicing the CGI characters. The young lead actress is very impressive as she more than holds her own with both Reynolds and John Krasinski, who directed this. I liked it but felt a little deceived. The big twist is easy to predict. You can’t really dislike this though. It’s too well done.

Today’s weigh-in, at 19 pounds lost towards 25-pound goal.

In my A-Z watch, three fell since I last posted, all keepers: It, the 1990 miniseries, kind of comical compared to latest movies but Curry nails Pennywise; It, Chapter 1, interesting update using CGI, great kid actors; It, Chapter 2, very satisfying conclusion as the adult version of the characters take on the clown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment