Friday, February 16, 2024

Interlude Between Storms

It’s patently unfair to refer to the two events I find myself between as storms but I’m feeling a little literary today. For the first time in a while there are only two residents in the condo today, my Favorite Panamanian and myself. While some would celebrate the peace and quiet, that’s not what makes life entertaining. Answering the immortal question posed by Maximus Decimus Meridius, I have been thoroughly entertained and expect that to continue. Earlier in the week we concluded the annual Carnivale time in Panama which saw not only my Favorite Panamanian’s birthday but also the in-condo residence of Tia Loca, her son and my mother-in-law.

Wife with her mom, Tia Loca and Nephew
As anyone can tell you about my younger sister-in-law, there is rarely a dull moment when Tia Loca is in residence. She became my boogie boarding buddy for the late afternoon session. She’s so much lighter than I am that she thoroughly out boarded me. She and her son returned to Panama on Wednesday but will return for the start of the second “storm”. My wife and I drove back to David yesterday to drop off her mom. My wife also volunteered for the condo association beautification committee so there was a shopping expedition on tap for yesterday afternoon with the wife of the Panamanian couple of the Seis Amigos.

Fridge was Stuffed to Bursting
In what turned out to be the best missed call in my lifetime, and possibly recorded history. My wife, enroute to getting a manicure, was summoned to meet with her fellow shoppers. I was safely back at my mother-in-law’s house and missed the call where my wife was coming to pick me up. Failing contact, she continued on without me. Saved!!!! As afternoon started edging into the evening I began to wonder what was going on and checked in with her. They were still trying to decide (four hours later). Talk about dodging a bullet. I got to spend the hours reading in air conditioned comfort while my Favorite Panamanian was engaged in her afternoon long efforts.

Upstairs Cake Ceremony

We were supposed to see a movie and go out for dinner (delayed Valentines Day date) but after the final decision was made she requested she still get the postponed manicure and pedicure. Since I was at a critical point in my latest Travis McGee novel and she sounded like she needed a break, this was an easy decision. Travis took down a squad of domestic terrorists while my wife got whatever the hell gel nails are emplaced. Win. Win. She eventually showed up as the sun set and the movie time had expired. W opted for chicken wings instead of the planned sit down formal dinner and had a genuinely great time before driving back to Las Lajas.

Beachside Cake


The second storm is the imminent arrival of my son, daughter, Wingman, the ABFA, the FBR, the BRS, and BR3. This is rightfully labeled a storm because it will also see the arrival of a significant percentage of my wife’s family; lots of high winds and aunts spoiling granddaughters even more than I do. I can’t wait. Facebook reminded me this morning with a proposed memory which is this photo from last year as we all sat on the beach for their final sunset. The Upstairs Neighbors of Seis Amigos fame, are visiting Peru and donated their condo for the granddaughters’ parents so they’ll be a lot closer this year. Color me extremely excited.

Last Year's Last Sunset
Meanwhile, Back in N.J. - Daughter's Back Yard

BRS is Ready for the Beach

As is Little Miss Chaos, BR3
Immediately after my last Frail Deeds post, we celebrated my Favorite Panamanian’s birthday. I had earlier bought a cake mix and frosting and was going to give it a go. Everyone was rescued from my culinary adventurism when we made another trip back to David allowing me to purchase a cake. It was fairly large so after singing happy birthday in the condo with the family, we took it downstairs to reunite with the Seis Amigos in the midst of the Carnivale celebrations ongoing on the beach. My Favorite Panamanian does not like attention lavished on herself but she was a good sport as the many people joined us to sing again and then partake of the cake. A very nice lady (I’m a little biased) was properly recognized on her birthday therefore.

We rectified the lack of movie date when we got home last night by watching the Iron Claw on the super streamer. I’ve never been a fan of the professional wrestling circus but this was a very poignant and heartfelt family story. Zac Efron transformed himself into a caricature but his acting raised the character to award winning levels. He plays the oldest surviving Von Erich brother and watches as his father’s overbearing personality plants the seeds for his family’s ultimate tragedies. Efron’s nuanced performance truly lifts this film from just another sports biography loosely based on real events. I’m still not a fan of wrestling but find myself finally convinced the former high school musical lead has what it takes. Good flick.

As Always, A Couple Sunsets to Send You On Your Way






----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment