Monday, February 12, 2024

Great Aunt Departs, Beachball, and Special Birthday

Okay. I know. I’ve been away for a while. It happens. Usually this happens because I’m having more fun than is strictly legal in a lot of places. That is certainly the case for this delay. Count yourself lucky to have been denied my benighted prose for a few days. Well, back at it. Great Aunt’s annual beach adventure concluded yesterday. We should have looked closer at the calendar when she planned her trip because Carnivale in Panama started on Friday which meant lots of people in the condo, disturbing her calm, hours long stay in her happy place (the pool). She was actually excited about the nine inches of snow she’ll get on Tuesday because she’ll have the best tan in town. Okay, I guess.

At The Airport Yesterday

Great Aunt's Final Sunset in Panama
Carnivale also means clogged streets and an immense police presence on the highways. While this can cause frustrating hold ups, my Favorite Panamanian says it’s important because Panamanians like to party and this protects other drivers from those who have partied a little too hard. My big sister saw this first hand when we drove her to the airport yesterday. She’s now an accomplished international traveler and had none of the anxiety she had last year on her first solo trip. Scheduling her trip back on Super Bowl Sunday was also a bit of a mistake. As stated above, we’ll look at a calendar for next year.

Friday Night Dinner
The Seis Amigos are all in residence at the condo again which meant a lot of partying. Friday night we drive into town for a very entertaining pizza dinner. The Panamanian Friend’s son and his girlfriend also came along and might have been a little surprised at the antics of their much older fellow diners. They were great “kids”. Chow Mein the cat made his usual appearance and pointedly informed me that he doesn’t like milk, even if it is from some of the best gelato. We were joined at the dinner by one of Panamá’s larger bugs (and that’s saying something) which had my wife semi-freaking out. For some reason she didn’t appreciate my suggestion of creating another pizza topping out of it.

The Bug, About 10 Inches Long
After dropping off Great Aunt at the David airport yesterday, we returned to the condo along with my mother-in-law, Tia Loca, and Tia Loca’s son to celebrate a birthday and Carnivale. When I mentioned earlier in the week that I wanted the Seis Amigos to join me for a mini-Super Bowl party, it typically evolved into a condo-wide party at the condo’s social area. I mentioned earlier that the condo had filled up. That included the usual bunch of teenagers, sans parents, who come to hone their embryonic beer drinking abilities. Far be it form me to criticize, especially based on my own history whenever my mother went on vacation, leaving Great Aunt and I alone in the house for two weeks (what was she thinking!). I mention the kids because they habitually occupy the social area after the sun goes down and play their assorted drinking games and insuring everyone in the complex knows they are enjoying their freedom.

Super Streamer Moves to the Beach
They were in for a bit of a shock last night as the adults took over the social area. The Panamanian couple of the Seis Amigos donated their television and I tuned in my trusty super-streamer to watch the game. It worked beautifully as the sun set just as the game got underway. The kids, their “club house” seized, flitted around the edges. There weren’t many people attending who understood or wanted to understand the game of American football but, as I mentioned above, Panamanian love to party. Everybody brought some food down and there was a young Panamanian girl wearing a Kansas City Chiefs shirt and rooting desperately for them (I blame Taylor Swift for that). It was the first condo wide party I’ve attended and it was a huge success. I haven’t enjoyed a super bowl as much since Atlanta blew that 28-3 lead. Some things can never be superseded, although watching football while hearing the surf crash nearby was more than cool.

Super Bowl Party



Birthday Girl
Finally, the biggest event of this year’s Carnivale takes place today with the birthday of my Favorite Panamanian (and necessarily her twin sister). She was giddy when I told her that her son would be arriving in a couple weeks with her birthday present from me, an Apple watch. We prepared a huge breakfast with all her favorites while she fielded calls from across Panama from friends and family. She was in tears when she received a video from the ABFA with the BRS and BR3 singing her Happy Birthday, beyond cute. I’m glad she’s getting to spend her day surrounded by family because that is the best gift life can provide (although I guess that depends on the family, but I digress). So, happy birthday to the owner of the most amazing flashing eyes I’ve ever been pole axed by. Keep them flashing mujer mio, Feliz cumpleanos mi amor!


And A Couple More Sunsets







----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment