Monday, September 25, 2023

Granddaughter Restorative Powers

My Favorite Panamanian and I were feeling a little bit lost in the weeks following the granddaughter summer residency program. There were no early morning wakeups followed by hojaldra chants and I’ve haven’t had to lock the bathroom door once since they left. Still, it’s tough following up the almost constant entrainment provided by this energetic bunch. While my high school classmates did an admirable job of distracting us last weekend, we were bereft for the just past weekend. This was, of course, easily solved with a Saturday trip up to the New Hampshire seacoast to hang out with my son’s family for a couple days.

One Very Happy Grandpa
The days were both pretty rainy so we were limited to indoor activities for the most part but this made the antics of the BRS and BR3 all the more lovable since I didn’t have to chase them down. There was some chasing involved, however, as I was ordered to play the part of the tickle monster for a large part of Saturday afternoon. They established the couch as a “safe zone” and I was charged with frightening them if they ever ventured off. They eventually drafted their abuela as “savior” as they know I cannot deny the Favorite Panamanian anything and she could quickly rescue them from the clutches of the monster.

The Artistes at Work

Masterpieces Created

BR3 Protecting her Ice Cream from her Abuela

BRS and ABFA at Ice Cream Place
We ended Saturday afternoon at the local ice cream emporium where the BRS pitched a bit of  a fit. She tried to commandeer BR3’s ice cream when she arrived at the table and did not like being rebuffed. She sought counsel from the ABFA at a nearby bench. After the kids went to bed, my son and I watched some very entertaining college football games, including the last second loss by Notre Dame to Ohio State. Neither of us were fans of either team but we swore we could hear Keene Friend 2 scream in disgust 100 miles away when the game ended.

"We Want Hojaldras!"

BR3 Gets her Hojaldra

ABFA and BRS at Restaraunt

BR3 Escapes Again

Very Fun Lunch
Sunday dawned with the obligatory hojaldras before the ABFA had to leave because she had a football game. She was playing in the game, not watching. She is further cementing her status as the absolute best family athlete, scoring a couple touchdowns in the game. She won but she says she felt bad for the other team. Women. We celebrated the win by taking my son’s family out to lunch. More correctly we took them out so the BRS and BR3 could repeatedly patronize the restaurant’s bathroom while the adults ate. It’s a good thing they are as charming as they are. I’ve never enjoyed losing a fantasy football matchup as much as I did yesterday. My team was playing my son’s but we watched the Patriots’ game together in his thoroughly awesome home theater. Riggins was in charge of popcorn cleanup requirements. I spent part of Sunday pushing one of the granddaughters around the cul-de-sac in front of their house while the other one chased us on a tricycle. They would switch off between each lap but I was never relieved so this qualified as a bona fide workout, which is good because an unacceptable amount of cookies were missing after the football game watching. Even the long drive home through Sunday traffic in the rain couldn’t diminish the restoration of morale by the time spent with the granddaughters and their fantastic parents.

Meanwhile in New Jersey the FBR Visited the Slime Museum

Didn't Know that was a Thing, Figured to be in New Jersey Though
One movie fell in my A-Z watch, a keeper and new addition to the library: The Flash – this year’s movie was a real treat, especially all the unbilled cameos, really liked it despite the critics and whatever the actor might have done off duty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment