Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Apt Downpour

Yesterday’s weather was thoroughly appropriate to my mood after a weekend full of a little bit too much fun and attendant celebration. There was a steady rain Monday which cast a fitting pall on the day as morale took a nosedive after spending the weekend with the most excellent graduates of KHS 1973. I huddled in the Man Cave, not feeling sorry for myself, but allowing the feelings of the weekend percolate. There were so many small moments, maybe just a quick passing conversation with a half remembered high school acquaintance, that made the weekend so much fun and thoroughly memorable. I don’t think I’m the only one feeling this way either as I read some of the comments online. It’s weird that it took fifty years for some people to enjoy high school but it was certainly worth the wait as I want to go back to those days. The weekend days, God forbid high school itself. We have a where’s Waldo test for you. See if you can find me in the class photo from Saturday. Hint, I’m standing next to Keene Friend 1 and the Kindergarten Friend. Extra points for finding Cantankerous and the PCR.

Stalwart KHS 1973
The past week with my Favorite Panamanian and her vertigo has provided a preview into what may be waiting for us in the coming (hopefully distant) years. She’s only been able to drive on a couple days so I’ve been responsible for driving her everywhere and doing more around the house. The driving isn’t bad as I take my trusty kindle with me which allows me to read in the quiet car while awaiting her outside medical appointments and/or shopping. My Favorite Panamanian has bemoaned the new reality as she used to use these excursions to pursue her shopping urges and doesn’t feel right to ask that of me (yet). Here’s to hoping she feels better soon. I've restarted jigsaw puzzles as I have a huge stack and we ended up doing it together which allowed for some very fun together time. Is it strange we stull enjoy that after 41 years? We haven’t heard much from the fam over the past few days as we’ve been decisively engaged with cerebrating. The ABFA sent these pictures of the BRS and BR3 starting dance school, way too cute. I also heard from Great Aunt and Soxfather’s sister after I trounced them severely in Fantasy Football but I’m going to keep that boasting to a minimum as both my starting running backs are injured. I’ll probably get my ass handed to me this week.

BRS 

BR3

Puzzle Wife and I Knocked Out
Last week we snuck out for an extra date night to see the Blue Beetle. While this super hero movie certainly has its flaws, and it does, it’s saved by the very appealing cast. I’m married to a Hispanic lady and we both laughed continuously as we heard so many of the sayings and issues that arise when our respective cultures clashed over the years. The movie focuses on a Hispanic family’s trial and tribulations as the son unwittingly becomes a superhero pursued by Susan Sarandon (good work if you can get it). George Lopez is hysterical as the weird uncle and steals every scene he’s in. The message of family permeates the plot and serves it well. Abuelas are tough. Loved the movie.

Three movies fell in my A-Z watch, two keepers and one not so much, as I finish off the “Fs”: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Zero Mostel and a young Michael Crawford, too funny; Fun With Dick and Jane, I love Tea Leoni but Jim Carrey is not funny in this, discard; and Fury, best tank movie and one of best war movies ever made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment