Monday, April 2, 2018

April Showering

My Hosts Yesterday

We’re supposed to be easing into spring with those fabled gentle April showers descending to evoke the burst of life that always accompanies the retreat of winter. So why the hell am I looking out my window now as a heavy snow storm pelts the area? Enough, already. It is easier to face this onslaught of winter reasserting itself since I had some hang time with the BRS yesterday for Easter.
Back Deck This Morning

View out my Office Window
If I had to describe the weekend outside of that visit with the ABFA and Favorite Son the key word would probably be “non-descript”. I logged some serious Man Cave hours viewing sporting events and binge watching some Netflix. My children have once again cajoled me into watching a TV series and I now find myself unceremoniously hooked. The series is Mad Men and yeah I know I’m about ten years late to the discussion but I’d never seen an episode before a month ago. I still find nearly the entire cast of characters beneath contempt, especially Don Draper, but it’s also fascinating to see the time period that I experienced as a young child depicted.
Son and BRS


With the ABFA
As stated above, the undeniable highlight of the weekend was yesterday’s Easter holiday and my trip north to spend it with the ABFA, my Favorite Son, the ABFA’s parents, and of course the one and only BRS. It’s not only the BRS who seems to grow exponentially each time I visit but also her parents. Both the ABFA and my son have picked up the rhythms and confidence of parenting flawlessly. Challenges that might have scared the hell out of them just a few weeks ago are treated with the tired yet resolute poise that can only be acquired through the cauldron of the first few weeks as a new, first time parent. I’m so proud of both of them. The BRS is very alert now and immediately focuses on whoever is speaking and if her facial expressions are to be believed also starts judging that person. In a welcome development she’s also started smiling which has the usual illuminating effect on the entire room.
Smiling Girl

In Her Easter Outfit

Very Happy Grandpa
It was also good to see the other set of grandparents, the ABFA’s folks, truly two of my favorite people in the world. I didn’t realize how starved I was for human company until arriving and being immersed in the fellowship of this amazing group. Riggins hovered around the grandparents trying to maintain a semblance of relevance he now realizes has been ceded to a certain extent to the BRS.
Wife in her Element Yesterday


The source of my lack of human company, my Favorite Panamanian, was bouncing around the province of Chiriquí yesterday. She started the day out at the condo but after seeing the sea blessed by the local parish she returned to her home town for some family time and then drove up into the mountain town of Boquete. There was an orchid festival going on there and while I watch the snow fall she’s sending the following photos of the beautiful flowers. Anyone who knows my wife’s love of colorful flora will know she was in seventh heaven with this situation.

A new Wreath She Created for the Condo Door

Boquete River

With her Mom and Sisters



The FBR, not to be marginalized in what is fast becoming a favorite holiday took her mother shopping on Saturday for an Easter dress. It warmed her abuela’s heart to hear that she selected no less than fifty dresses to try on. I guess the shopping gene skips a generation because her grandmother was ready to jump on a plane to return and assist in the effort whens he heard this. Thinking into the future I cringe on the impact on our credit cards. My daughter eventually negotiated a more reasonable approach and an Easter dress was chosen along with a couple bathing suits.
With the Shopping Spoils

Entertaining

Neighborhood PArty

Friend Hangs

the Easter Dress
It was so brisk in New Jersey that she had to wear some pants and a shirt underneath the dress yesterday for the outside Easter egg hunt and neighborhood party. I have it on good authority that she fully exhausted herself in the hunt redeeming the training time we spent together last week while I was there.  



Before the snow started flying I was out on the back hill on Saturday. When I received Buddy‘s ashes last year a packet of seeds for wild flowers were included. I’ve kept them in front of my computer at home ever since. I felt I owed it to him to plant them around his final resting place when the ground thawed out. It’s times like the past month when I miss Buddy the most and I know it sounds silly but in a very small way I felt like I was connecting with him again doing this. If the flowers ever emerge from under the snow I’ll know.
Formidable!


No comments:

Post a Comment