Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Nether Explorations

Yesterday was a lot of “fun”.  I had my annual physical and it’s accompanying probing of the nether districts but it turned out to all be good news.  My sister will be happy to hear the review of the chest nodule exams, all in the same place for the first time, revealed no problems that require further investigation.  I’ve got a couple follow on appointments but it really was all good news – precisely what I hoped to hear going in.  Even the shoulder, banged up in the accident, tested out fine.

Yesterday, I also finished L.E. Modesitt’s book, The Timegod’s World.  I bought this from Amazon since Modesitt is one of my favorite writers and this was one of his earlier works that I had never got around to.  It was actually two books and took me a long time to finish, because it’s a very long book and I’ve been kind of busy.  I was frustrated because the latest Lee Child book arrived in my Kindle queue while I was reading it.

The book was typical of Modesitt in that the reader really connects with the characters.  It was also interesting because these were a couple of his earliest works and you could see the genesis of his writing style and some concepts that pop up in later works.  He creates worlds that have you believing in their reality due to his descriptions of mundane aspects of everyday life that surround the story.  He also doesn’t beat you over the head with the details of the powers his heroes are endowed with.  He writes more in the first person and you discover these powers through the reactions of other characters.  I’m not sure that makes a lot of sense but if you read Modesitt, you know what I’m talking about.
 
The story spans literally millions of years and deals with a race that can move through time and change past events if a culture is developing that could pose a threat to them.  The second part of the book dealing with Loki, was especially entertaining.  The “time divers” are remembered as Norse gods here on earth.  It was a great, if impatient, read.
 
I checked in on the presidential debate last night which was supposed to be about foreign policy.  I'm still waiting for that debate as both candidates didn't want to get away from the domestic economy issues.  Obama had no answers as to his Carteresque foreign policy in the Middle East so he didn't make up any ground with me.  I was really hoping he had better answers than the platitudes he offered last night.

For all of you worried about Buddy’s down day, he bounced back with typical panache yesterday.  He was back out front terrorizing squirrels and the odd jogger who had the temerity to jog up the road in front of the house.
Buddy Back on Patrol Yesterday
Front Yard Yesterday
Great, if Long, Read

No comments:

Post a Comment