Sunday, June 9, 2024

Double Timing

Been a busy time since our return from New Jersey which culminated yesterday with two high school graduation parties. Before you leap to a judgmental stance questioning why an old fart such as I is attending high school graduation parties. Let me explain. The grads, both gals, are progeny of the Panamanian Mafia, Worcester chapter. The Neighborhood Mafioso’s youngest granddaughter, as well as the youngest daughter of another Mafia member were the graduates. It is at this point that I feel it necessary to lodge a formal complaint about the all too rapid passage of time. It seemed like yesterday that we first met the granddaughter as she rushed around with her sister at a golf course club house where we were celebrating her first communion. The other graduate is famous within our family for not only running through the screen door of our Charlton house, but doing it twice. She was a charming little girl who befriended Buddy the Wonder Pooch and always sought him out when he was sentenced to the basement for counter climbing during one of our mafia get togethers. My whole point here being, what are these little girls I remember doing being all grown up as high school graduates?!

Neighborhood Mafioso with her Beautiful Daughter and Granddaughters
We returned from New Jersey on Thursday to find the driveway and Deckzilla liberally coated with what looked like yellow powder. Apparently, there was a heavy pollen fall which hadn’t been disturbed since we weren’t in residence. That absence also seemed to have provided the back yard animals with a bit more bravado than they should possess. I found a rabbit munching away on the deck and he was soon joined by no less than three squirrels! I immediately disabused them of their new found audacity with a few well aimed BBs. Along with the pollen fall nearly all of the Favorite Panamanian’s roses are blooming which provide amazing color. I was mowing the lawn on Friday morning when a young couple walking by complimented me on “our fantastic landscaping”. I pointed to the upstairs window and said my wife deserved all the credit as I only performed dumb labor at her direction.

Pollen Covering the Deck

Some of the Wife's Roses
Now, as to those parties yesterday. Both parties were scheduled to start at 2pm. My social director, AKA the Favorite Panamanian, declared we would go to the daughter one in central Worcester first, stay a bit, and then return to our neighborhood for the granddaughter one. I thought I was being crafty by sneaking through the middle of town, thinking Main Street would be deserted on a Saturday afternoon. I was wrong. There as some sort of LBGTQ rally at city hall so I had to divert onto some back streets while listening to my wife’s constant criticism of my route choices. We arrived at the party location, ran into another member of the mafia, and as we entered the party found we were the first and only arrivals so far. The hostess reminded my wife that since most of the attendees were Latinos it would be a late arriving crowd.

Grad #1, Mafioso's Granddaughter
A conference with our hostess as well as a quick plate of arroz con pollo for my Favorite Panamanian resulted in a change of plans. We would return to the Mafioso’s party with the other couple we had run into and return later. I cautioned my wife that the Mafioso’s husband and I had perfected a beer smuggling technique (to avoid spousal supervision) which meant I did not plan on being in any shape to drive. She made another caustic remark about my earlier choice of routes and said she would drive. We arrived to find the second party in full swing. We had some interesting weather yesterday (it is New England) as an un-forecasted rain storm swept through, followed by some healthy winds, especially on our hill top. This led to some very funny attempts to take pictures of my wife and her mafia gang.

Wife with Mafia on Windy Patio

The Mafioso’s husband was manning the grill producing some epic ribs when he wasn’t smuggling beers for me. It was another in a long line of fantastic parties at the Mafioso’s house. The mafia was well represented and we spent a truly enjoyable afternoon hanging with these old friends. I was sorely tempted by the incredible number of sweets that were available. The Mafioso had even imported my well-known kryptonite, mini-whoopie pies. Despite the results of my most recent weigh in (see below) I decided to continue with the diet in the face of this murderer’s row of sweets. I added a whoopie pie to the growing pile of sweets in our freezer. We helped wind this party down as most of the ex-high school kids departed and left us old geezers in possession of the battlefield.

Mafioso's Husband, My Partner in Crime
Finally Gets to Eat
We’d stayed longer than we planned but that happens when you’re surrounded by such excellent people and our hosts. We eventually returned to that first party, following the wife approved route. We found the missing Latinos had arrived in our absence along with several from the Mafioso’s party who followed us over. The winds had produced a brisk early evening which called for the deployment of a fire table (got to get one of those!) which we gathered around to continue the laughter and comradery of the other party. I ran into another old infantryman, the hostess’ brother-in-law, which led the inevitable comparing of notes since we had both served in Panama, Germany, and Ft Campbell.

Grad #2 with my Wife
So, yesterday we validated the main reason we’ve decided to put down roots here in Worcester. The remarkable collection of friends I’ve labeled the Panamanian Mafia. We spent nearly seven hours partying with them and the time seemed to fly by with the attendant laughter that is endemic to our mafia gatherings. That’s probably why those high school graduates seemed to have grown up so fast.

Wife and I at Fire Table

Very Fun Evening
Now, as to that latest weigh in. I’ve reached the 25-pound weight loss goal I established following my post-surgery weight gain! Returning to the pool on Friday had to help but it was every bit as painful as I anticipated, mostly in the arms. I also discovered that my blood, thinned in the tropics, wasn’t prepared for the pool temperature which took my breath away when I jumped in; something I’ll have to get used to again. I didn’t want to ruin that success by indulging yesterday in the wide spread delicacies on display. I sat next to a table with a cut opened chocolate cake which I spent the entire time inhaling but never ate. That was tough. I’m now at the weight I was when I left for Panama but a couple more off the belt wouldn’t hurt since that was following Christmas and all the cookies that entailed.

In my A-Z watch, three fell since I last posted, all keepers: John Caparulo, Meet Cap, comedy concert flick, really funny dude; John Carter, much better than you’ve heard; Johnny Mnemonic, Keanu before he matrixed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment