Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Anticipation

We are in full anticipatory mode this week as this weekend marks the kickoff to the official holiday season. I’m not talking about Veterans Day, although that’s there as well. Saturday marks the eighth birthday for that granddaughter of renown, the FBR. She has the entire week off from school (they have a fall break) and is totally geared up for celebration. Her biggest excitement stems from the arrival this weekend of her cousins, the BRS and BR3. Since she will be hosting those worthies, she has been assigned the task of cleaning up her bedroom. A job not suited for the faint of heart. Wingman is off tour and “volunteered” to help. He was needed as part of the effort involved deciding which of her clothes she has outgrown and what toys should be donated. This included the beloved “stuffies” (stuffed animals). The FBR holds the firm belief that you cannot have too many stuffies.

The Future Birthday Girl's 2d Grade Picture
Wingman sent the attached photos showing what two days’ worth of negotiations with his daughter had achieved. This is the pile of stuffies that the FBR claims she cannot live without. It was well short of what Wingman hoped to achieve and does not included the stuffies assigned to the FBR’s bed and downstairs play area. I plead guilty to being part of the problem as we have provided a number of the stuffies. What can I say? If you find out your granddaughter likes something, prepare storage area. It’s a grandparent thing. I wonder how many of our donations were victims of the Wingman pogrom.

Wingman's Lament, The Remaining Stuffies
You can feel winter edging into the air. I could almost smell snow yesterday. The clearest sign are the early sunsets, especially since we turned clocks back. BR3 was having none of this. When her body told her it was bed time she was conking out, even if she was still lying on top of her dad’s chest awaiting official bed time. We’re exited to see the two younger granddaughters on Thursday as they’ll be splitting up their trek to New Jersey by stopping in to spend Thursday night with us. As I said, anticipation. We follow up this weekend’s celebrations with my birthday, Great Aunt’s birthday, Tia Loca’s birthday next week, leading up to next weekend’s legendary, and, yes, dare I say, epic, annual birthday pub crawl. These all lead up to the big ones Thanksgiving and, of course, the biggest day of the year, Christmas!!!!!!

BR3 Ignoring Daylight Savings
Finally, if I’m going to complain (and you know I will) about the pollical parties and their descent into the fringes of their constituencies, where the far right controls the republicans and the radical left the democrats, then I should at least participate in the process. For that reason, I voted today in the Worcester municipal election. I did my research and tried to weed out the radical leftists on the ballot and vote for centrists. Of course there were no republicans candidates to vote for, this remains the People’s Republic of Taxxachusetts, after all.

Finished Another Puzzle

My Shirt Today

Five movies fell in my A-Z watch, all keepers: Hanna, awesome action and when you knew Ronan would be a star; Hangover I-III, R-rated fun as the Wolfpack terrorizing family and friends, worth to see the ending photo gallery; and Hard to Kill, thought I would get rid of but still watchable and then there’ Ms. LeBrock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment