Monday, October 9, 2023

Mission Drift

I’ve always been fairly, if inaccurately, proud of my ability to stay healthy while my Favorite Panamanian regularly battles seasonal colds. Last week she was engaged in combat with her usual autumnal sinus cold which had me banished to the old master bed room for a few days. Channeling that inaccurate feeling of superiority, I returned to the marital bed a couple days too soon. Our upstairs neighbors from the condo had departed Friday when the wifely affliction landed squarely on me with spiked hobnailed boots. I’ve written before that I’m a very poor patient, probably due to my time in the Army, where “good” Soldiers are expected to ignore minor physical issues like colds or the odd fractured bone.

BRS on her Brand New Bike
Apparently I am now a full-fledged civilian because there was no ignoring this cold. The additional problem involved the timing. We had a very busy weekend scheduled with a trip up to New Hampshire to assist my son with the BRS and BR3 while the ABFA was away, followed by a trip across the state for Keene Friend 2’s stepdaughter’s wedding celebration, followed by our annual leaf peeping trip today. I claimed to feel better later on Friday so we launched for New Hampshire although I spent the entire weekend masked up while around the granddaughters, bringing back unpleasant 2020 memories.

BR3 Ready for Dance Class

Back Yard Practice with her Sister

Chow Time

The granddaughters were oblivious to my condition and demanded I play the part of tickle monster. Luckily they spent most of the time in the “safe zones” where the tickle monster is not allowed so there wasn’t as much chasing involved. They also invented a new game where they piled every blanket, pillow, and (strangely enough) placemats, on top of me and then tried to steal them back while I defended the pile as “mine”. I know it sounds extraordinarily silly (it was) but I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. The BRS had two birthday parties to attend over the weekend so my wife and I were in charge of (in thrall to in reality) BR3. She remains chaos incarnate in the best way possible.

The New Pile Game




My Favorite Panamanian finally convinced me that I had to stop the daily workout routine until I was feeling better as the body needs some rest. There wasn’t a lot of work involved in the new pillow game so she allowed that. She picked up the slack with the ever-energetic granddaughter duo. My son was fully engaged all weekend in the absence of his better half. We had planned on sneaking out Saturday night to see the new Exorcist movie but he was admitted he was too tired to do that. I now have to find a new partner for that as there is no way I’m seeing it alone. 
Test Drive

Little Miss Chaos

I had to admit that I would be doing a serious disservice to Keene Friend 2’s assembled family if I tried to attend the wedding party on Sunday. This is not the kind of cold I would wish on my worst enemy (well, maybe him) but certainly not the awesome people attending the party. We also postponed the annual leaf peeping trip until later in the week where I plan on feeling better (that is still the idea).

Wife Picking up the Slack While I rest

Shoe Decisions are Not Easy

Down in NJ, Another FBR Tooth has Fallen
So, we’ve had to drift away from highly anticipated missions because I’m now a civilian wimp who can’t easily ignore a simple cold. In my defense, it’s pretty nasty. We’re also keeping an eye on Israel as we have a planned trip there in a couple weeks. Hamas exploded out of the Gaza Strip over the weekend in an unprecedented attack. The Israeli response will likely be swift and large portions of the strip will become a parking lot. I can’t see how Israel can allow the Iranian surrogate, Hamas, to remain in power after this, but it is going to be costly. I shouldn’t worry about the money I’ve already spent when there are so many lives in real danger there now. I’m guessing the Iranians were concerned about the real advancement of Israeli diplomatic relations with Arab nations so they launched this operation to require the Israeli response. The real losers here will be, as always, the Palestinians, once again used as pawns.

Three movies fell in my A-Z watch, all keepers: Ghost Rider 2, not as good as first one but Cage with his face on fire, gotta have it; Ghost in the Shell, Scarlett as a manga warrior robot, what’s not to like; and GI Joe, The Rise of Cobra, much worse than I remembered, but action saves the day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment