Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Welcome Delay

Yeah. I know. It’s been a while. You are most certainly welcome for the respite from my inane ramblings but that vacation is over. I have excuses, but as one of my former Army drill sergeants once told me, “The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.” I first had to contend with yet some more painting as my Favorite Panamanian took advantage of the weekend tax holiday to purchase some more paint. The hallway of the main staircase was allocated to me while she pursued more important tasks with the Neighborhood Mafioso. That wall took a bit of stretching, even with a ladder in place on the stairs. Note to self – balanced precariously on a ladder placed on stairs is not for the faint of heart, but it got done.

Dinner Last Night
Late Monday the Maine Musquetera and her husband showed up for a welcome visit. It has been way, way too long since we’ve had the opportunity to hang with these special people. Job #1 on Tuesday morning for the ladies was, of course, launching on their favorite shared activity -  shopping. I may have made a critical mistake in showing my Favorite Panamanian how to enter her favorite stores in the Waze. Heretofore she’s always been dependent on the Neighborhood Mafioso to reach certain places. Her hunting grounds have therefore expanded. This could get expensive.

Newly Painted Hallway
While they were out, the two guys faced the task of assembling the other victim of the weekend tax holiday. The new kitchen table chairs were delivered and required assembly. We went to the store because they promised free delivery. When the salesman started to charge me $129 to deliver the chairs, I asked him about that offer. He said the free part meant they just dropped the boxes off and I would have to assemble. We went the free route as I thought, how tough would assembling chairs be? It wasn’t, but the fingers are a little raw from all those turns of the allen wrench. The musquetera’s husband was an immense help and by the time we were finished we could assemble a chair in about ten minutes, despite the English assembly directions composed by someone in Vietnam.

The New Chairs
While we awaited the return of the respective better halves, I introduced my buddy to the pleasures of watching a movie in the Man Cave. He was as thoroughly impressed as I anticipated and opined it was difficult to believe that I ever left the sanctuary. That struck a little too close to what I hear from my Favorite Panamanians at times. He marveled that this was the first full length movie he sat though in years. A good time although we had to take a break after a message from the musqueteras where we had to measure their car to insure a carpet they were buying would fit in their car.

The Musqueteras Talking with Tia Loca 
The ladies did eventually return (after some coaxing) and we set out for dinner. We were going to take them to Val’s but we learned Val’s was closed not only on Monday but Tuesday nights as well. A return to Worcester saw us in a well-appointed steak house where we had a really fun dinner with the added entertainment of a major dish falling incident. Our energetic waitress actually brought the other waitress that had dropped the dishes over to introduce her as the source of the evening’s entrainment. Which was kind of weird. We ended the night back in the Man Cave where all four of us enjoyed another movie. It is contagious. So much fun hanging with these friends. Tomorrow, we head south to retrieve the FBR for her two week stay with us. You’re probably going to get an even longer break from my inanity as it is hard to write when confronted with granddaughter energy levels.

While left to my own devices this past weekend I snuck out to see a horror movie, The Last Voyage of the Demeter. To say the Dracula legend has been thoroughly plowed for stories would be a vast understatement but filmmakers still try. The Demeter is the ship Dracula uses to get from Transylvania to England. Ignoring all the evil portents the crew takes on the cases including the vampire king. Vampiric hijinks ensue as members of the crew and assorted pets are drained. The film builds up a nice level of tension but drops the ball in the second half when they figure out where Dracula is hiding during the day. They then come up with an elaborate plan to trap him but wait until dark to do it. I know a certain level of imbecility is required for horror movie victims but this has to rank up near the top. The movie was well acted but knowing how it ends is never a good premise to build a horror movie upon.

Five movies fell in my A-Z watch, all keepers, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, holds up well and that red bikini top; Faster, the Rock playing against type as vengeful force of nature; Father of the Bride, Steve Martin a bit annoying but still lovable; Father of the Bride Part 2, thank God Diane Keaton is around to save this; and Father Goose, one of my favorites of all time, “Married!? Goody two shoes and the filthy beast!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment