Monday, June 20, 2022

Weekend Blitz

After last week’s final post you had to figure the next one was going to be fairly robust in size given the series of events I was confronted with over the weekend. In that post I omitted yet another event I was dragged, er, I mean, attended; that being the ordination of a priest on Saturday morning. You’ve been warned, this is going to take some time. Those of you with better things to do, which isn’t a particularly high standard to meet, are better off leaving now rather than wandering down this path with me. Those of you who are made of sterner stuff or dramatically under-entertained, here we go.

Some Very Happy Grandparents on Fathers Day
Friday saw my first time ever visit to a Syrian Orthodox Church. We were attending the wedding of our next door neighbor’s daughter and they are very Syrian. I didn’t know what to expect and that was the right approach to take because it was very different. There were three Syrian priests and an outlier that looked like a Catholic priest which might have been a gesture for the Texan side of the marriage. So, four priests, I settled in for the long haul. It was a very interesting ceremony with two large televisions positioned that carried all the words being spoken. That was a good thing because there were at least three languages interspersed through the service with a lot of chanting.

Bride Enters with her Dad

The Four Priests at Work

Newly Married

Beautiful Couple
The chanting was actually fairly eloquent and I got a real impression of hundreds of years of tradition included. The bride was beautiful as they tend to be and she was led into the ceremony by two flower girls who could not have been cuter. At certain points in the ceremony the Syrian ladies broke into their trademark “la-la-la” chants which I took to mean they were approving of something. It was all very esoteric but thoroughly enjoyable. It was hard to miss the joy of the bride and groom and of our neighbors. All in all, a very nice experience.

Our Neighbors Exiting Church

Those Two Flower Girls
After the wedding we had to rush home so my Favorite Panamanian could change into her reception gown. I almost made the mistake of asking her why two outfits for a single wedding were needed but some latent intelligence sprung up and quashed that impulse. She wore the same gown she wore to our son’s wedding and was equally stunning all these years later. We were also picking up the neighborhood mafiosos who couldn’t attend the wedding because Friday marked her last day working before retirement, so a lot to celebrate.

The Panamanian Ladies

With one of their Designated Gringos
Which we proceeded to do in no uncertain terms. The wedding reception was at a local country club and featured an open bar. Need I say more. There was a generous cocktail hour during which I’m sure the newly wedded couple were properly assaulted by their photographer. We set up near the bar and began the process of celebration. We were assigned to sit at the same table, 14 out of 14, so you can see where we must have been on the invite list, but we still made it. After we moved into the dining area and met the other table 14ers. The newly married couple entered and, in one of the coolest moments of the night, were greeted by the entire crowd as they moved across the dance floor. They were then hauled up onto shoulders and the entire crowd cheered and danced in welcome.  

The Welcoming Dance

Table 14
The food was fantastic but the after dining entertainment was fantastic. It started with a belly dancer. I know. Weird. At a wedding reception. But it was part of their culture and there was really nothing sexual about it. The lithe dancer made a point of including as many ladies as possible and the two diminutive flower girls were truly entranced. The rest of the night involved a serious amount of dancing so you know where the Panamanian ladies were. Their spouses were doing the usual job of trying to keep up with them. The music was overly loud and pulsating with a definitive Arabic beat. I had memories of my time in the Middle East and remembered the popular music there sounded a lot like a cat being mutilated. This was much better as they incorporated popular music into their constant, very loud beat. There were no slow dances except the parental ones with the bride and groom . It was an unmitigated, simply outstanding time. I was thoroughly exhausted by the end of it. Although that music is still echoing in my head three days later.

The Mafia and Us

The Belly Dancer

Easy to be Culturally Sensitive
End of Night Photo with Neighbors and Newlyweds
Since I qualify on most scales in the wicked department, there was no rest to be had on Saturday morning. I had unwittingly agreed to attend a church service a few months back when my Favorite Panamanian brought it up. A young Colombian priest in training had served at our local church and we had him over for lunch. In way of thanking us, he invited us to the ceremony where he would be officially ordained as a priest. I don’t know what I was thinking when I agreed to this as I usually leave the deep-Catholic stuff to my wife. She knew she had me by the short and well, you know, as I had agreed to attend. I felt trepidation set in when we pulled up to the church in central Worcester and saw the immense crowd gathering. This was not going to be a simple ceremony. It was a huge cathedral and was packed to the gills for the mass. We lucked into some obstructed view seats near the back and I readied my mindset for the long haul. The bishop led the mass and the entry took well over five minutes itself as he was followed by seemingly every priest in central Massachusetts (more on them later).

View from our Seats
The mass was something out of my worst nightmares as it went on and on. I assuaged my feelings of frustration by looking over at my wife and seeing her beaming in joy. Let’s just say we have different MO’s when it comes to church going. We finally got to the part where they garbed up the new priests, nearly a dozen, and I thought we were in the home stretch (never trust a five page mass program). It turns out that every priest in attendance, remember there was nearly a hundred of them, had to pass by and lay hands on the head of the new priests. Do the math, a dozen priests, each having their head with hands laid on by nearly a hundred other priests. But that wasn’t the end of my agony, after a prayer, the priests all filed back by the newly ordained priests so they could hug each one and deliver a small message to each. It was at this point I began to lose hope.

New Priests Lined Up

Afterwards, Our Friend is One on Right with Bowed Head
I was getting antsy and not just because I was in a church service for longer than two hours. We planned on leaving for my son’s home as soon as the service ended which got later and later as the serial hugging went on and on. I may be exaggerating a bit, but hey, it’s my blog. We eventually did escape and hit the road north to New Hampshire.

You Know Why I'm Smiling, We Are Leaving!
We made fairly good time up to New Hampshire and soon had granddaughters draped about our shoulders. The first order of business was to take the whole crew to the local ice cream shop. It was fun watching the BRS and BR3 flit about the playground there while occasionally making runs at their ice cream. My wife and I had volunteered for babysitter duties so my son and the ABFA could take in a show with some friends. Fortunately, grandparents and granddaughters seem to have the same effect on each other – exhaustion. Both kids went down at bed time without serious issues.

BR3 Eluding Abuela at Ice Cream Shop

BRS

Sisters
While their parents were on their way back from the show my son asked my Favorite Panamanian to heat up some empanadas that she had made for them as apparently the food at the venue was horrible. So late night empanadas with them when they arrived and received a full report on their progeny’s behavior. We all slept really well that night. What is it about church that is so exhausting; okay, that might have been the granddaughters.

Happy Abuela

Grandpa Expected to Get Down to Lego Level
Father’s Day dawned with the obligatory BRS morning wakeup. The ABFA and my wife did an admirable job of fixing up a fantastic brunch while engulfed in BRS/BR3 activities as well. They did their very best to give the dads a break. After brunch gifts were brought out and a major familial conspiracy was unmasked. My wife and two children had conspired together to buy me an Apple watch! I never even contemplated getting one but it was truly love at first sight. The biggest surprise lay in store however. I was able to program the watch myself! I know, there are certain people reading this who are acquainted with my level of electromagnetic competence who are just now pulling themselves off the floor from the shock of that last statement. It turns out the Apple watch is almost idiot proof (I may be the acid test for that). All I had to do was bring into proximity of my I-phone and it virtually programmed itself.


I’m still going through the learning process with that but I already love it. It made my think of Soxfather (never a bad thing) as he was a proud and vocal lover of his Apple watch. Shortly thereafter we formed up a caravan and headed east into New Hampshire since we were celebrating Father’s Day with the ABFA’s outstanding parents in Hudson. The girls and Riggins were bubbling over to be in one of their favorite places on earth and the ABFA’s dad was soon in thrall to wherever the BRS wanted to lead him. My Favorite Sona and I took a more measured approach and took up residence on the couch with a nearby cooler full of beer as the Red Sox took the field.

BRS and BR3 With Grandpa and his New Watch

Dinner with ABFA's Parents

Mother and Son
Somehow we took in the entire game without being called away by our better haves. You just gotta love Fathers’ Day! The granddaughters flitted in and out, highly entertaining each time. The BRS and I invented a new game where I would steal the ball from her and then deny her earnest efforts to recover it. She somehow found this immensely amusing. The Red Sox sealed their win just as we were summoned to dinner.

Hanging with Dad

The Floor is Lava!

Busting some Dance Moves with Mom

Yoga Time

Beautiful Family

Great Dad
Our hosts had prepared a filet mignon meal that was every bit as good as you could possibly imagine. The best part, as is wont to happen, was gathering around the table with these fine people. Riggins took up station under the table for any stray morsels. I was lucky enough to sit next to BR3 on one side and my son on the other. Too much fun. There is a rhythm and vitality to family gatherings such as this that simply cannot be simulated. You’re left with a feeling of simple joy at the opportunity to share life with those closest to you. Some people, such as yours truly are infinitely lucky in this department. After dinner the granddaughters entertained us with some yoga and turning the floor into lava which I guess is an internet thing (I was first exposed to this by the FBR). Times like this are also known for the velocity of their passage as it was time to depart before I was fully ready to say goodbye. It was a long and fairly quiet drive home, since my wife was driving and doesn’t appreciate my verbal assistance despite an entirely different viewpoint when she is co-piloting, but I digress.

FBR Manning the Drums for Soundcheck

Wingman Doing his Thing
Speaking of the FBR she had her own very special Father’s Day weekend since Wingman’s band took them to New York City. This meant they could spend the entire weekend together. As I was sitting down in the Man Cave late last night my daughter called to catch me up on the weekend antics. The FBR loves the stage. This does not surprise anyone who has met this bundle of energy and joy. Wingman’s band allowed her on stage for their pre-show sound checks both Friday and Saturday and she took to it like the proverbial duck to, well, you know. The FBR attended one of the shows, clad in her ear mufflers (the shows are louder than even Syrian wedding receptions). My favorite photo of the weekend shows the FBR signaling “I Love You” to Wingman while he was performing. She apparently learned the hand signal in school and unveiled it appropriately at the show. My daughter says both father and daughter were seriously rocking out at the show, which included Wingman’s signature keyboard handstands.

FBR Signaling Dad During Show
The family met up again in New York City the next day for more together time. This is needed because they won’t see each other again until the end of July as the tour wanders the lower 48. My daughter was still laughing when she told me about the FBR’s first ever taxi ride. The FBR had heard about taxis and thought this would be the height of sophistication to take one. Granted, never having been in one, she might have had unreasonably[JP1]  high expectations. As a treat they hailed a cab together and took it back to the train station on their way home. This was the absolute best part of the day for the FBR. Go figure. So there you have it. A very full and unbelievably quick (except for the whole ordaining priest part) weekend. This is the stuff a happy life is constructed of.

FBR in the Big City Yesterday
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course


 [JP1]

No comments:

Post a Comment