Sunday, June 12, 2022

Graduating Excess

There was a time in the mists of the distant past when I could attend two graduation parties after a long morning working on a brick wall and feel no after effects whatsoever. That was a long time ago. It does not diminish in any way the great time I had yesterday celebrating high school graduations of two close friends’ grandchildren; the whole wall thing I could have done without. I noticed lately that the lowest terrace wall in my wife’s vast garden complex was starting to lean out. My Favorite Panamanian pointedly remarked that this was unacceptable and I was charged with fixing it. I thought it would be a minor repair such as I ran into last year. An hour before First Friday was suppose to start I began pulling bricks out to investigate. And kept pulling and pulling, until nearly three quarters of the entire wall was gone.

Party #1, Wife in Hat Next to the Czechs
It was at this point a smart guy would have stopped since a very busy day was planned for Saturday. Unfortunately, he wasn’t involved in this process. I figured I could jump on it in the morning and knock it out before the first party. While that turned out to be true, it made for a very long morning. On the up side I got a very good workout. This was the first wall I built in the back yard and at the base of the hill it gets a lot of water. I found that over the years the bottom row, which necessarily supports the rest of the structure, had literally migrated back into the hill, hence the lean from the rows above. It must have been a combination of the seasonal freezes or just a simple curse from above.

Wall Work, Had to Rebuild from where front of Wheelbarrow is

About Halfway Done, You can See Lean on wall to Left

Cave-in Dirt Evacuated

Wall Restored
The problem being, I had to extricate those bricks to reestablish a stable wall. The back yard chipmunks helped by establishing an extensive tunnel system behind the wall which meant once the wall was removed the dirt it held back was unstable and prone to fall just as I pulled the brick out, at least five different times. My Favorite Panamanian was looking a little concerned as she saw the fault line for falling dirt approaching some recent plantings. There was decidedly less concern for her semi-submerged husband digging out from the cave-ins. I ended up wheelbarrowing the fallen dirt out of the way until I could get the wall re-established. The last hour was a bit of a fire drill as I knew departure time for the first party was fast approaching. I received a running commentary from the family of chipmunks about the depredations I inflicted on their home but the wall is back up and not leaning.

Second Party
The first party was near our old home in Charlton at the home of a member of the Latina Mafia celebrating her grandson’s high school graduation. They have a pool in the back yard and had set up tents for the crowd. We were just getting settled in with the crowd when I received an anxious summons from the lady my wife was talking to. I rushed over to find my Favorite Panamanian laboring to breath. I felt a little helpless as I supported her and another party guest, a nurse, came over to see if she could help. Gradually she was able to take a few halting breathes and returned to normal after a very scary, thankfully brief time. She’s been increasingly sensitive to pollen as she’s gotten older and this back yard was surrounded by even more flowers than my wife’s garden (I know, hard to believe) as well as many pine trees. The nurse said she probably had a reaction to the pollen which caused her throat to constrict just as she was about to swallow.

Guy's Table
The rest of our time there was a lot more fun and markedly less frightening. We spent a lot of time catching up with our Czech friends which always makes for a good time. We hadn’t seen them since last year so it was time well spent. The party’s host told me where the beer was hidden, away from questing graduating seniors. Times have certainly changed from when I graduated (okay that’s a bit of a vast understatement) which was extremely beer soaked, as street signs came under attack from miniature Miller bottles, but I digress. Another member of the Panamanian Mafia also showed up with her family which added to the fun. Great food, superb people, and perfect weather, a completely excellent send off for the graduates. It was a great afternoon spent with some truly excellent people on a fantastic late spring day.

The Ladies
We had to leave in the late afternoon to make our way back to Worcester to change clothes for the second party. My Favorite Panamanian, recovered from her constricted throat, was performing designated driver duties as we headed back west to Auburn. The second party was for the granddaughter of the Neighborhood Mafioso and was at the recently reconstructed VFW post where we’d had so many entertaining times before it burned down a couple years ago. The graduate here is heading to my alma mater and pursuing the same type degree my Favorite Son did there, so I dutifully donned my UNH Wildcat shirt for the fiesta. I was impressed with the rebuilt post and the function room where the party was held. The graduate co-hosted the party with her best friend, a Greek gal. It felt almost like a wedding reception but a lot less ceremony involved. We quickly spotted the Mafioso across the room when we entered. We arrived at the table to find they had established separate table for the guys and the gals.

Graduate (l) and her Mom (r)
This led to a lot of fun as it was much harder for the ladies to supervise us with this setup. Fortunately, that did not lead to any international incidents. At least I don’t think it did. There was even more food and drinks as we older folks celebrated whilst the graduates flitted around the room with a lot more energy than our group. There was a dance floor but music selection was at the mercy of the graduates which meant a lot less appropriate music for our age group. We did get out there for a couple songs but this ended quickly when they put on a series of Greek folk songs. It hardly mattered though as I welcomed the respite from physical activity as my morning full of wall building was catching up with me. This allowed me the opportunity to hang at the table and laugh almost continuously with a singularly fantastic group of friends. Recovery operations are in full swing as I write this today. That means I made the most of the time I blessed to spend with some truly exceptional people yesterday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment