Friday, May 3, 2024

Delayed New Years Resolution Time

Alright. I know that a lot of people use weight loss as a New Years Resolution. I didn’t this year because I thought I was in a good place. That has all changed over the past month. In my defense I’m only partially responsible. Okay to be perfectly honest, about 90% my fault. The Mohs surgeon forbid me from working out since the surgery but that edict expires tomorrow. This lack of exercise, which is the bedrock of keeping the belly encroachment at bay, combined with my admitted consumption of everything containing sugar over the past two weeks has created issues. This happened on top of a solid month of over indulgence during my final weeks in Panama. The result is I’m 25 pounds heavier than I was when I left for Panama.

The question I’m sure you’re asking is why am I talking about this here. You are part of the solution. Congratulations. I figure if I post it here, my fragile will to lose to the weight will be embellished. I’ll report over the coming weeks on my progress to rid myself of the excess baggage. This way, if I fail, all my friends and family can call me on it (and they will). So tomorrow I start exercising again and go back on the semi-strict keto diet. I may have a built-in excuse (which I promise not to use). I had an x-ray on the right foot earlier this week in prep for an appointment next week with a foot doctor. I’m able to see the x-ray results online and that doesn’t help except that I know there isn’t a fracture involved. The rest is in “doc speak” so mere humans have to depend on the doctors to interpret. WebMD wasn’t much help with this diagnosis: “hallux valgus deformity with mild soft tissue swelling medial first MTP joint. Mild degenerative changes DIP joints and midfoot. No fracture. Vascular calcifications are present.” So, I’ve got that going for me. Reporting will ensue, good or bad.

Backup Plan

My Favorite Panamanian left me to my own devices for the past couple afternoons which meant two trips to the local cinema for movies that came out while I was still in Panama. The first was Civil War. I heard a lot about this movie going in so my expectations might have been too high. I didn’t like it. The scenario as unbelievable, I mean, California and Texas teaming up! Right. The action was broken up by spells of forcing the movie goer to endure long periods of time where the actors, mainly Kristen Dunst, look off camera, I guess emoting. It was boring and grew to the point of complete frustration. I get it, actors like to portray emotion, but when the director decides we all want to try and interpret the actors’ inner thoughts in the middle of a supposed action movie. Fail.

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire was also a bit of a disappointment. I really enjoyed the earlier film with the new cast but this latest was too busy, trying to fit in too many characters and giving none of the them enough. I know, that doesn’t make sense but somehow it did. Trying to shoe horn in every character from virtually every movie in the ghostbuster series diluted the impact the new cast had. The movie also didn’t have the comedic edge all the prior ones thrived on. It was almost as if they wanted it to be a straight horror story which would never work. Sadly, after the promise of Afterlife this one fizzled.

In my A-Z watch, four fell since I last posted, all keepers, The Hunger Games, Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (new addition), interesting take on the origins of the main villain of original Hunger Games;  I, Frankenstein, loved this action filled take on a modernized monster; Beekeeper (new addition), latest Statham thriller, adds to his legend, great action; I Love You, Man, almost jettisoned this one because Seigel is so annoying, rescued by supporting cast and of course, Mr. Rudd.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment