Thursday, October 1, 2026

Obit

I have specifically refrained from writing about the Red Sox this year because, as with any self-respecting baseball fan, I am extremely superstitious. At first, I didn’t say anything because I was mired in depression as they started the year out as disastrously as possible. This led to the early season replacement of the manager, and I thought the year was a write off. That feeling continued into June as they continued to underachieve. They simply couldn’t hit, especially if someone was on base.

My Error in Flags
That all changed in June when they caught fire, sweeping the Yankees in a memorable Fenway series. Young guys filling in for oft injured veterans came through in the clutch and seemed to be having a lot of fun. The pitching was great all year long as well as the defense which improved drastically from prior years. They were comfortably qualified for the playoffs coming into September, then, they reverted to their early season personae. As a completely biased observer, this change seemed to coincide with her return of veteran shortstop Trevor Story. He was hitting, at times, but the juice seemed to be out of the vibe surrounding the team as they limped towards the post season.

They were set to match up with the Yankees, and I was cautiously optimistic as I held out hope they would rediscover their mojo. Alas, it was not to be as the Yankees laid an epic beat down on them. At least we’ll always have 2004!!! 😊 So, it’s over and I can now belabor you with my misconceptions and wild theories about the 2026 Red Sox. The future is looking better with some bona fide stars in the mix coming up from the minors. That includes the heir apparent for Story. They can’t go another year with that anchor in their lineup. Their supposedly best player, Roman Anthony, has to prove he can stay healthy and they can hopefully add an impact bat over the winter.

I spoke earlier about superstitiousness and baseball fans. I have a Red Sox flag that I only fly on the days after they win. In a bout of whimsy and an effort to show my support I flew that flag all this week, despite their losses in the final regular season game and the entire Yankees series. I’m now thinking I may be responsible for their losses because of that. Like I said, superstitious. Feel bad for Soxfather who I know was suffering along with us looking in from above.

Get Better
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RECURRING CHARACTERS:

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete – my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Czech Connection – Czech couple who’ve become good friends along with their daughter (the Czech Shadow); Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Upstairs Neighbors – American couple and great friends who live in condo above us in Panama; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment