You’re
right. I haven’t written in a few days (you are most welcome). I find myself
back on Hampton Beach for a week, cohabitating with my son’s family in their
annual beach front rental. In prior years, we’ve spent just a couple days here with
them. Those have been so much fun that we took the plunge and decided on an
entire week this year. Keeping in mind my recent dermatological adventures, I’ve
reduced the number of hours I spend on the beach. The house they rent is more
than enough of a pleasure in itself that the reduced thong watch opportunities
are worth it. As I’m working on this, I’m looking out over the rocky shore of
the Atlantic towards the Isles of Shoals. I’m reminded of my winter sojourn at
the condo looking out at the Pacific while I type.
 |
| Beach Bunch Yesterday |
Since
my daughter and especially the FBR had such a great time last year, they also re-enlisted
for another trip. They joined us late on Friday before we drove over on
Saturday. The three granddaughters were reunited which is always fun to watch.
They immediately took up where they left off last year, exploring the rocky tidal
pools directly in front of the house. The local crab population is quaking and
high alert with their return since they compose the most readily available
quarry for the ladies.. My Favorite Panamanian had spent most of last week
preparing a series of meals (favorites of both “kids”) and then freezing them (the
meals not the kids) so she wouldn’t have to spend time cooking at the beach. The
ABFA’s parents are also part of the mix which further enhances the fun.
 |
| Granddaughters in Search of Crabs in the Tidal Pool |
 |
| Wife ad ABFA's Mom on the Deck |
 |
| Granddaughters on the Hunt |
 |
| Granddaughters Seized Control of ABFA's Surf Board |
 |
| Wife and I |
Sunday
was my son’s birthday which was celebrated with the appropriate amount of pomp
and circumstance. I got to watch the entire Red Sox game with him. A rare
opportunity with his daughters in residence. Since it was his birthday, they
were forbidden from complaining about the lack of cartoons on the screen. Luckily,
they had a nearby beach and those tidal pools Likewise, my Favorite Panamanian was
subjected to a series of indignities as her son repeatedly placed a cold drink can
against her exposed leg leading to an appropriate levels of shrieks. I kept
having to remind her that she couldn’t engage in her planned retaliation
because it was his birthday. I also reminded my son that he was living
extremely dangerously as I (better than anyone) know that she doesn’t forget
and what she is capable of.
 |
| Successful Hunt |
 |
| Birthday Boy |
 |
| BR3 with her Abuela |
 |
| Wife and I, Again |
My
son and the BRS have been bonding over the past year watching the old TV
series, Supernatural. My wife therefore created one of her signature cakes with
that theme, fake blood seeping over the edge of the cake (I know, we’re weird).
The BRS and BR3 found an old lobster hat in the basement which they decided their
dad had to wear for the cake ceremony. He took it in good humor, a girls’ dad
to the core. Once the younger generation had retired for the night, we engaged
in a lively game of Uno Flip around a table. The ladies, somehow, figured out a
way to manipulate the game so only they won. It was still a lot of fun, as is
any time when you get to hang around a table laughing with those you hold most
dear. We were only missing Wingman for the complete set.
 |
| BRS and BR3 Helping Dad with Sword |
 |
| Bonecrusher About to Descend |
 |
| With the ABFA |
 |
| With his Sister, mom, and Dad |
On
Monday, Keene Friend and his lady arrived to spend the day with us. They fit in
immediately with the crowd, especially the ABFA (could have been the chocolates
they brought with them). It
was a great, leisurely day spent on the beach. I’m hoping my dermatologist is
not tracking my activities too closely (my Favorite Panamanian is an acknowledged
agent). Fortunately, that agent spent most of the afternoon scouring the rock
field for shells because we’re supposed to be getting some rainy days ahead and
she wants a craft activity of the granddaughters. It’s been a very un-July like
brisk out of the sun but we still managed a very fun post-beach gathering on
the deck liberally laced with Beachboy music courtesy of my daughter and her
trusty portable speaker.
 |
| Trouble Brewing |
 |
| FBR Posing on Beach |
 |
| Joined by Cousins |
 |
| Keene Friend and his Lady |
 |
| The Daughter Waving |
I’m away from my stationary bike and did
not want to spend another week without working out after the week following surgery
required it. There is also the inordinate amount of celebration I’m called upon
to engage in (more than willingly I should add). That being the case, I’ve
started taking long morning walks. It’s easy since the terrain is so flat, unlike
my hilltop home. It has brought back how much I miss being able to jog, which
was such a staple of my life for so many years (the whole Army thing about
staying in shape). It’s been over ten years since I had to give it up due to
balky knee. The walks reminded me of that lost activity, only much slower. Kind
of like my whole life at this point, much slower but still so much fun. The
fault of that can be laid at my incredible family’s feet, of course.
 |
| Watermelon Break |
 |
| Deck Social Hour |
 |
| Daughter Getting Hugs before Leaving This Morning |
 |
| My View While Typing This |
 |
| Daughter and FBR on their Way to New England |
 |
| The Bloody Cake |
 |
| BR3 Stalked by the Shadow |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RECURRING CHARACTERS:
ABFA – Amazing Best Family
Athlete – my daughter
in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter
#3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel -
second granddaughter; Cantankerous
Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything,
poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high
school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside
Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in
Brooklyn; Czech Connection – Czech couple who’ve become good friends
along with their daughter (the Czech Shadow); Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions
once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite
Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR
- First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since
high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited
with after many years; Maine and
Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my
wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close
friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals
– female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife
accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high
school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the
Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex
and my wife and I; Soxfather – my
brother-in-law (whom I miss more than I can ever explain); Tia Loca –
wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my
son in law; Upstairs Neighbors – American
couple and great friends who live in condo above us in Panama; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course
No comments:
Post a Comment