Friday, June 25, 2021

Week Slippage

I looked up this morning and realized it was none other than the First Friday of the Week. The week sort of snuck up on me as the week, expertly slipped by me without notice. I spent most of the time, when I wasn’t working or resting in the Man Cave, on the back hill and have reached the top row of the new retaining wall terrace to increase my Favorite Panamanian’s vast garden complex. I’ve bought the capstones and plan to drive a stake into the heart of this latest project later this afternoon, finishing in plenty of time to properly honor this First Friday.

Final Row Started
We’re hosting a small party for neighbors and friends tomorrow on Deckzilla so my wife has been in high prep mode all week. I jokingly mentioned this to both of my “kids” this week and they knowingly acknowledged my predicament, glad they had some substantial geography between themselves and their mother when she is in this zone. It is not for the faint of heart. I’ve found the key tactic is to look busy, otherwise you are a target of opportunity for a random tasking; hence the speedy progress on the back hill wall. The upside is that today she is in serious cooking mode and the house smells fantastic. Brownies are a certain path to get me to do anything.

Freedom for FBR
The FBR successfully negotiated her pre-school graduation ceremony. My daughter sent me a video clip, too long to include here, but I will state (despite my obvious bias) that she was the star of the ceremony. The kids were singing a song thanking parents and teachers complete with hand gestures and the FBR was the only one doing it as required. As I said, a bit biased. She’s taken advantage of her new freedom by sleeping in this morning for the first time in recorded history. She didn’t arise until after 8am which is totally unheard of. He parents were both mystified and pleased.

FBR (2d from Left) Starring
The other two granddaughters were equally charming this week. The BRS allowed BR3 to play with one of her beloved dolls but not without some very close monitoring. BR3 has not given up on her effort to put Riggins’ leash on him. It’s almost too funny to watch. She has also taken her first steps which will herald a new era in my son’s household with two very mobile young ladies to contend with. Finally there was what was called a “super moon” out last night. It was shining brightly as this photo from Deckzilla will attest. It was almost bright enough to read outside at midnight.

Super Moon Last Night
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment